Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Kevin Miller[_2_] Kevin Miller[_2_] is offline

Default Pecan slabs - gift from a friend (0/1)

mac davis wrote:
On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 11:42:35 -0800, Kevin Miller wrote:

mac davis wrote:
A rare treat here in the land of ironwood and cactus!

Pecan 'eh? Boy, you must have really made him mad about something!
I've heard it referred to as 'pecancrete'. For a good reason!
:-)

Dunno.. he's a wood carver and has done some fantastic pieces out of it..
These slabs are from a huge tree that he cut down several years ago and had
slabbed and shipped to him..

Are they dry? I turned a piece some years back and never got a shaving
- just dust and chips. But it was bone dry and hard as a rock.

I guess you're used to ironwood, so pecan probably isn't that much of a
hassle.

I'm about 3/4 through the first bowl, and it's got major cracks, which I knew it
had before I started.. (end of the slab)
Very pretty wood that turns well and sands ok.. looks like natural Danish oil
will really pop the grain..
White with a nice brown sapwood.. very pretty..

Yeah, it is pretty wood. FWIW, for cracks I have two main weapons:
brass shavings from a key duplicating stand and coffee. I find the
shavings from the DIY and hardware stores work better than those from a
key shop. The key shop had expensive top end cutters that produced
larger shavings. The hardware store machines make powder.

Pack it in, drip in thin CA and turn it. The brass will act as a
feature enhancer, and add some nice shine. The coffee looks like a bark
inclusion which is natural and less distracting than using sawdust as a
filler.

Looking forward to seeing the bowl when it's done...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska