Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Pecan slabs - gift from a friend (0/1)

A rare treat here in the land of ironwood and cactus!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"mac davis" wrote in message
A rare treat here in the land of ironwood and cactus!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Are you going to turn a bowl or smoke some barbecue? I'd save those
shavings for smoking some meat.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

In ,
Ed Pawlowski spewed forth:
"mac davis" wrote in message
A rare treat here in the land of ironwood and cactus!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Are you going to turn a bowl or smoke some barbecue? I'd save those
shavings for smoking some meat.

I was just going to say the same thing.
And not just the shavings, any scrap I'd save
Around here, that's all I use for Q'ing

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 23:09:29 -0500, "ChairMan" wrote:

I was just going to say the same thing.
And not just the shavings, any scrap I'd save
Around here, that's all I use for Q'ing

I've heard of smoking food with hickory before, but not pecan. Is it a
reasonably well known barbecuing agent?
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 11:42:35 -0800, Kevin Miller wrote:

mac davis wrote:
A rare treat here in the land of ironwood and cactus!

Pecan 'eh? Boy, you must have really made him mad about something!
I've heard it referred to as 'pecancrete'. For a good reason!
:-)

Dunno.. he's a wood carver and has done some fantastic pieces out of it..
These slabs are from a huge tree that he cut down several years ago and had
slabbed and shipped to him..

I'm about 3/4 through the first bowl, and it's got major cracks, which I knew it
had before I started.. (end of the slab)
Very pretty wood that turns well and sands ok.. looks like natural Danish oil
will really pop the grain..
White with a nice brown sapwood.. very pretty..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 00:50:12 -0400, Upscale wrote:

On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 23:09:29 -0500, "ChairMan" wrote:

I was just going to say the same thing.
And not just the shavings, any scrap I'd save
Around here, that's all I use for Q'ing

I've heard of smoking food with hickory before, but not pecan. Is it a
reasonably well known barbecuing agent?

No idea.. never had any before.. I guess it's a Southern wood?
I'm sure liking what I see so far, and about 100 pounds or so of free wood works
for me..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote in message
On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 23:09:29 -0500, "ChairMan" wrote:

I was just going to say the same thing.
And not just the shavings, any scrap I'd save
Around here, that's all I use for Q'ing

I've heard of smoking food with hickory before, but not pecan. Is it a
reasonably well known barbecuing agent?

It is used a lot in the south where it is a native wood. Taste is very much
like hickory. Some people use the nut shells for smoking also.

You can smoke with any wood that comes from a tree that bears either nuts or
fruit. I use all of my scraps, oak, cherry, walnut, maple.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Upscale wrote:
On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 23:09:29 -0500, wrote:

I was just going to say the same thing.
And not just the shavings, any scrap I'd save
Around here, that's all I use for Q'ing

I've heard of smoking food with hickory before, but not pecan. Is it a
reasonably well known barbecuing agent?

Pecan is closely related to hickory. Like brothers.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

I'm here to question all your answers.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 7/1/2010 4:43 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

It is used a lot in the south where it is a native wood. Taste is very
much like hickory.

?? Maybe to a Yankee, but not to us Southern boys!

Although they are in the same family, pecan is a _totally_ different
flavor than hickory, and much "sweeter" ... if you have to hang a
descriptive term on it.

The Texas Smoking Wood Trinity: mesquite, pecan, hickory. In that order.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

A rare treat here in the land of ironwood and cactus!
mac

Nice treat mac. I've never had the opportunity to turn or carve pecan.
Haven't known anyone here to do it either. Hope you post some pictures
of the finished products. Be nice to see. You going to use oil or??
`Casper

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

In ,
Upscale spewed forth:
On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 23:09:29 -0500, "ChairMan" wrote:

I was just going to say the same thing.
And not just the shavings, any scrap I'd save
Around here, that's all I use for Q'ing

I've heard of smoking food with hickory before, but not pecan. Is it a
reasonably well known barbecuing agent?

Most definitely, damn good for ribs baby backs.
I'm doing a couple of pork butts this weekend and that's all I'll be using

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

In ,
Ed Pawlowski spewed forth:
"Upscale" wrote in message
On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 23:09:29 -0500, "ChairMan" wrote:

I was just going to say the same thing.
And not just the shavings, any scrap I'd save
Around here, that's all I use for Q'ing

I've heard of smoking food with hickory before, but not pecan. Is it
a reasonably well known barbecuing agent?

It is used a lot in the south where it is a native wood. Taste is
very much like hickory. Some people use the nut shells for smoking
also.
You can smoke with any wood that comes from a tree that bears either
nuts or fruit. I use all of my scraps, oak, cherry, walnut, maple.

I like it better than hickory, I personally think it has much better flavor
YMMV

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

In ,
mac davis spewed forth:
wrote:

On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 23:09:29 -0500, "ChairMan" wrote:

I was just going to say the same thing.
And not just the shavings, any scrap I'd save
Around here, that's all I use for Q'ing

I've heard of smoking food with hickory before, but not pecan. Is it
a reasonably well known barbecuing agent?

No idea.. never had any before.. I guess it's a Southern wood?
I'm sure liking what I see so far, and about 100 pounds or so of free
wood works for me..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

crank up the BBQ and try it, I don't think you'll be dissapointed

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

In ,
Swingman spewed forth:
On 7/1/2010 4:43 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

It is used a lot in the south where it is a native wood. Taste is
very much like hickory.

?? Maybe to a Yankee, but not to us Southern boys!

Although they are in the same family, pecan is a _totally_ different
flavor than hickory, and much "sweeter" ... if you have to hang a
descriptive term on it.

The Texas Smoking Wood Trinity: mesquite, pecan, hickory. In that
order.

I'd agree that its more subtle and sweeter than hickory.
I'm not sure I'd put mesquite before pecan, but my tejas order would be
pecan, hickory, mesquite.
And just good ol' oak will work just fine in a pinch

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

mac davis wrote:
A rare treat here in the land of ironwood and cactus!

Pecan 'eh? Boy, you must have really made him mad about something!
I've heard it referred to as 'pecancrete'. For a good reason!
:-)

Dunno.. he's a wood carver and has done some fantastic pieces out of it..
These slabs are from a huge tree that he cut down several years ago and had
slabbed and shipped to him..

Are they dry? I turned a piece some years back and never got a shaving
- just dust and chips. But it was bone dry and hard as a rock.

I guess you're used to ironwood, so pecan probably isn't that much of a
hassle.

I'm about 3/4 through the first bowl, and it's got major cracks, which I knew it
had before I started.. (end of the slab)
Very pretty wood that turns well and sands ok.. looks like natural Danish oil
will really pop the grain..
White with a nice brown sapwood.. very pretty..

Yeah, it is pretty wood. FWIW, for cracks I have two main weapons:
brass shavings from a key duplicating stand and coffee. I find the
shavings from the DIY and hardware stores work better than those from a
key shop. The key shop had expensive top end cutters that produced
larger shavings. The hardware store machines make powder.

Pack it in, drip in thin CA and turn it. The brass will act as a
feature enhancer, and add some nice shine. The coffee looks like a bark
inclusion which is natural and less distracting than using sawdust as a
filler.

Looking forward to seeing the bowl when it's done...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 7/1/2010 10:34 AM, ChairMan wrote:

I'm doing a couple of pork butts this weekend and that's all I'll be using

Hey, that's no way to talk about my mother-in-law!

;-)
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote in message
On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 23:09:29 -0500, "ChairMan" wrote:

I was just going to say the same thing.
And not just the shavings, any scrap I'd save
Around here, that's all I use for Q'ing

I've heard of smoking food with hickory before, but not pecan. Is it a
reasonably well known barbecuing agent?

Pecan is in the hickory family, it is not possible to tell them apart
by looking at the sawn lumber, and it taste the same too.

basilsik

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"basilisk" wrote:

"Upscale" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 23:09:29 -0500, "ChairMan" wrote:

I was just going to say the same thing.
And not just the shavings, any scrap I'd save
Around here, that's all I use for Q'ing

I've heard of smoking food with hickory before, but not pecan. Is it a
reasonably well known barbecuing agent?

Pecan is in the hickory family, it is not possible to tell them apart
by looking at the sawn lumber, and it taste the same too.

basilsik

Pecan and hickory are different species of the genus Carya in the walnut
family (Juglandaceae)

09=IX
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 09:36:51 -0400, Casper wrote:

A rare treat here in the land of ironwood and cactus!
mac

Nice treat mac. I've never had the opportunity to turn or carve pecan.
Haven't known anyone here to do it either. Hope you post some pictures
of the finished products. Be nice to see. You going to use oil or??
`Casper

From what I can see/feel so far (only have the 150 grit sanding done) It's very
dry and will probably absorb a lot of Danish oil before buffing..
Seems like pretty grain and color so far.. I've seen some of the things that my
friend has carved out of it and they're awesome..

I'll try to remember to take pics.. senior mind at work..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 09:43:29 -0800, Kevin Miller wrote:

Are they dry? I turned a piece some years back and never got a shaving
- just dust and chips. But it was bone dry and hard as a rock.

VERY dry.. I guess he had it slabbed several years ago and it's been stored in
Arizona.. (hot & dry)
I'm using mostly carbide tools and getting nice curly shavings..

I guess you're used to ironwood, so pecan probably isn't that much of a hassle.

Oh, Yeah... MUCH easier to work than ironwood!

I rarely fill cracks anymore.. My style seems to be evolving more toward leaving
them natural or enhancing them..

I had a few oak bowls crack when they warped and gave them to a friend that
carves bone.. She's going to fill the cracks with bone to imitation ivory and do
some scrimshaw on them..
I think it's gonna be bugly, but it's her time and material..

Yeah, it is pretty wood. FWIW, for cracks I have two main weapons:
brass shavings from a key duplicating stand and coffee. I find the
shavings from the DIY and hardware stores work better than those from a
key shop. The key shop had expensive top end cutters that produced
larger shavings. The hardware store machines make powder.

Pack it in, drip in thin CA and turn it. The brass will act as a
feature enhancer, and add some nice shine. The coffee looks like a bark
inclusion which is natural and less distracting than using sawdust as a
filler.

Looking forward to seeing the bowl when it's done...

...Kevin

I'll try to take pictures as each piece is finished..should be several pieces,
unless I get some large platters out of the thinner slab..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

I use pecan for smoking and BBQ because I get it for free. Pecan trees are
famous for losing branches all the time. My neighbor has one that is right
on the property line. I keep threating to remove it because it keeps
spitting and dropping large limbs on to my property. I afraid next
hurricane it will throw a huge branch at my house. Last hurricane one very
large branch flew within inches of my boat.

When I walked around the house after the hurricane died down and I seen the
branch all up against my boat, I got worried. Luckily it hit next to my
boat and I had no damage. Did save it along with some large oak branches
from the other nieghbors yard for smoking and outdoor fireplace.

pecan wood Rick Spivey Woodturning 8 December 21st 05 07:18 PM
4/4 Pecan for Sale Rodger Woodworking 6 November 6th 05 03:03 PM
Pecan BillyBob Woodworking 17 August 21st 05 02:01 AM
Pecan Trees Bruce Woodworking 1 September 3rd 04 10:23 AM
Pecan wood Mark Hopkins Woodturning 2 August 13th 04 01:23 AM