Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
ChairMan ChairMan is offline

Default Pecan slabs - gift from a friend (0/1)

In ,
Swingman spewed forth:
On 7/1/2010 4:43 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

It is used a lot in the south where it is a native wood. Taste is
very much like hickory.

?? Maybe to a Yankee, but not to us Southern boys!

Although they are in the same family, pecan is a _totally_ different
flavor than hickory, and much "sweeter" ... if you have to hang a
descriptive term on it.

The Texas Smoking Wood Trinity: mesquite, pecan, hickory. In that
order.

I'd agree that its more subtle and sweeter than hickory.
I'm not sure I'd put mesquite before pecan, but my tejas order would be
pecan, hickory, mesquite.
And just good ol' oak will work just fine in a pinch