Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_3_] RBM[_3_] is offline

Default Dedicated Circuit: Is Junction Box Required?

"Evan" wrote in message
On Jul 3, 7:50 am, "RBM" wrote:
"Evan" wrote in message

On Jul 2, 10:46 pm, "RBM" wrote:

"Evan" wrote in message

On Jul 2, 5:55 pm, "RBM" wrote:

"Twayne" wrote in message

,
RBM typed:
"Evan" wrote in message
On Jul 2, 4:20 pm, "RBM" wrote:
"Twayne" wrote in message

,
Josh typed:
I plan on adding a dedicated 20A GFIC outlet above my
kitchen countertop, fed from a new 20A circuit breaker
via 12-2 w/ground Romex run through my attic and down
inside the wall to the outlet. Two questions:

1. Since it will be a dedicated circuit (only the one
outlet on it) does the electrical code require a junction
box between the breaker and the outlet?

2. Since the outlet will be the end of the line, is it
necessary to use wire caps and jumpers for the hot and
neutral in the outlet box, or can I simply run them
straight to the outlet terminals? I've seen the
connections drawn both ways in reference books. They all
show the wire cap and jumper to a screw for the ground
wire, but differ as to the need for wire caps and jumpers
for the other two wires.

Contact your local code enforcement office and ask them.
No one here is going to know preciesly what their
requirements are.

HTH,

Twayne`

People on this group tend to know NEC and CEC, which is
certainly the basis
for whatever local jurisdictions use. Why is it that you
think everyone has
a " local code enforcement office"? I for one, have
nothing like that in my
area.

LOL... You do have such an office, you just live in a
large area served
by a county-wide or state-wide "local office"...

Most places in the US have a city or town wiring inspector
OR pay a fee to their county to have the county inspector conduct
the wiring inspections and sign off on the permits...

~~ Evan

Not exactly. I live in Westchester county, NY. I hold a
master electrician's license issued by the county. When I
do electrical work, depending upon the particular
jurisdiction , I hire an inspection company and I pay them
directly. There are no electrical code enforcement offices
that a citizen can call and get any information regarding
electrical requirements.

You are either weasel-wording or just outright uneducated. There IS
code
enforcement, whether you choose to recognize it or not.

You constantly tell people to call their "code inforcement office" for
answers to their electrical questions. I'm saying that there is no
code
inforcement office in my county or any neighboring counties. When
licensed
electricians do work, we have accounts with private ,certified
electrical
inspection companies.We hire them and they inspect our work. There is
no
governmental office that one can call for answers to electrical
questions,
and the private inspection companies are only going to tell a person
call
a licensed electrician.

LOL... So there is no possible conflict of interest there at all...

You PAY a company to inspect, would you keep paying them if they
failed your
work... LOL...

Who randomly spot checks various types of installations to be sure
that the codes are actually being interpreted and correctly applied...

Sounds to me you could shop around for an private inspection firm
which is less strict than another...

Tell me which state/county this is in so I will never stay in any
structure there, as they are not being inspected by an uninterested
party like the government...

~~ Evan

So you believe that somehow a government inspector is less likely to
become
corrupt than a private inspector? That's actually pretty funny, and very
naive. The truth is up until a few years ago my area was inspected by
one
company, in fact the original electrical inspection company, in fact the
same company that did electrical inspection for Thomas Edison. The
company
had no competition, could charge whatever they wanted, had complete
autonomy, and went bankrupt after a hundred years due to corruption and
mismanagement. The current system works much better for everyone
concerned,
but if you feel endangered by successful free enterprise, than feel free
not visit New York City and it's environs

Yes, that is what I believe... A local government wiring inspector
has
no financial stake in whether or not your wiring passes its
inspection...

He or she has already been paid the permit fee for the project and you
can not occupy the structure until the final permit has been signed
off
and you are granted a certificate of occupancy...

Any private anything is not subject to public oversight and has a
DIRECT
financial stake in continuing business relationships with various
electricians
who hire them to complete the inspection process... THAT is MUCH more
likely to become perverted and corrupted than a government inspector
who wasn't corrupt and looking for bribes BEFORE he took his job...
The government inspector has nothing at stake if the wiring fails
inspection,
the private company could lose business and that makes the entire
thing very suspect and a potential conflict of interest...

A government inspectors records are public property and therefore
accessible via a public records request under the FOIA law...
Private business records can only be examined by certain government
oversight officials in the course of a business audit unless they are
the objects of a subpoena which is granted during the discovery
phase of a civil lawsuit...

So PUBLIC safety in the form of certifying wiring systems as safe
is placed into the hands of a private business which has little to
no oversight and is able to keep its records private from virtually
everyone compared with a publically employed government inspector,
that is a no-brainer... You can remove the government guy by
going to the local executive authority and complaining about
the inspector's conduct and if enough people complain or the
investigation into your complaint indicates something is amiss
the inspector can be warned or fired -- it is not so easy to replace
a private business which has an almost monopoly, you have to
establish a competing business to take over...

So yeah, I vote for the public option as it is a more transparent
process and as a local taxpayer and voter I can have input into
the retention of the local government employees whose records
are public information rather than the uphill battle it would be to
have the private company produce its own documents which you
then have to use against them in court to prove your accusations...

It is naive to think that any business has anything but making
money as its primary objective... It is stupid to give a private
business total authority and control over certifying something
is safe to be used or occupied without any method of oversight
and quality control/verification that the standards are being
accurately interpreted and applied...

~~ Evan

Just for clarification, all these inspection companies, use certified
electrical inspectors. They are essentially the same people that would be
doing the inspections for the govt, if the system were arraigned that way.
Each city, town or village, authorizes whichever of these companies they
choose, make the rules for their jurisdiction, and oversee the process.
Certificates of compliance are issued, filed and become part of the
governmental records.

The final work product, the certificate of inspection and the
inspection
report become public records when they are filed with the AHJ, there
are multitudes of other documents however which don't become
public records remaining totally private and inaccessible to a FOIA
request because they are not produced by a public agency and thus
you need to ask the company to disclose its own documentation of
itself when you file a lawsuit against it...

Any piece of paper produced by a government entity not deemed
classified for a given set period of time due to reasons of ongoing
national security matters is available to view and purchase a copy
of for a nominal fee... Sometimes personally identifying information
about persons named in the reports are redacted but the documents
themselves are public and accessible...

Nothing a government employee touches during his/her employment
is private from the local executive authority (board of overseers/
supervisors/alderman/selectmen, town/city council, mayor, etc) whom
can investigate complaints... No such access is afforded to the
records
of a business whose only records that are disclosed are the final
certification paperwork... You have to trust that they are not hiding
anything in their internal files...

So RBM, if the local government is supervising this process and
overseeing the safety of the wiring how many government inspectors
do they have doing field verifications and integrity checking of the
reports being filed by the private wiring inspectors... If the govt
doesn't have anyone doing that it would be fairly easy for any
business to begin to pull the blinds on them and not have any
way for the govt people to know until stuff starts burning down
en masse...

~~ Evan

Dude, get it through your head, there are NO government inspectors. There
never have been in the NY metro area. The place is not burning down. Show me
any documented accounts that wiring in NYC is any worse than anywhere else.
With your love for almighty government, you must be a shill for Obama