Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dedicated Circuit: Is Junction Box Required?

On 6/30/2010 10:43 PM spake thus:

On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 21:55:49 -0700 (PDT), Josh
wrote:

I plan on adding a dedicated 20A GFIC outlet above my kitchen
countertop, fed from a new 20A circuit breaker via 12-2 w/ground
Romex run through my attic and down inside the wall to the outlet.
Two questions:

1. Since it will be a dedicated circuit (only the one outlet on it)
does the electrical code require a junction box between the
breaker and the outlet?

2. Since the outlet will be the end of the line, is it necessary to
use wire caps and jumpers for the hot and neutral in the outlet
box, or can I simply run them straight to the outlet terminals?
I've seen the connections drawn both ways in reference books. They
all show the wire cap and jumper to a screw for the ground wire,
but differ as to the need for wire caps and jumpers for the other
two wires.

No and no.
You can run a cable, unbroken all the way.

What he[1] said.

Just to clear up the confusion, the reason you see pigtails (jumpers)
and wire nuts used in wiring guides is that they're very useful when you
have cables both entering and exiting an outlet box, making for a lot of
extra connections. Obviously, if you only have a single cable and a
single device (GFCI outlet), you can simply wire the cable to the device.

[1] I'm ASSuming that gfretwell is a he.

- Comment from an article on Antiwar.com (
http://antiwar.com)