Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Basement slab weeping/leaking through bottom plate screw holes

On Jun 30, 10:00*pm, aemeijers wrote:
wrote:
On Jun 29, 10:52 pm, Bryan Scholtes wrote:
OP postrer needs interior french drain before ANY FUTHER WORK
with a sump draining to a pump or ideally daylight
What do you think about just a sump pump? I suppose the water table
may be the problem, as I've never had any water in the basement, ever,
until now.

What would a french accomplish that a sump pump by itself wouldn't?
I'm being sincere, I really don't know.

interior french drain collects water from all over basement area,
directed by underground lines to a sump and pump or better a daylight
drain its far superior to just a sump and pump which will only collect
water from its immediate area.

before finishing basement you really must fix the moisture issue.
otherwise mold bad odors etc will ruin your new room.let alone the
possiblity of a flood someday

as to fix grade redirect downspout drains etc.

i spent over 8 grand doing that with new sidewalks steps etc and 6
months later still had a wet basement....

the interior french drain with sump cost $3500 bucks and i didnt have
to do any work, i was the laborer for the 8 grand job without my bck
breaking effort it would of been 12 grand took most of summer

sure fix obvious issues, but before finishing a basemet install proper
drainage.

otherwise one storm can ruin all that work...........

and its far easier to install french drains with a nice open basement
with no finished walls etc.

you CANT seal out water all you can do is direct it somewhere else!!

I still say retro-fit interior french drains are always a last-resort
solution. They break the slab-to-footer connection. If water table is
high enough, sub-floor drains should go in before slab is poured. I've
personally seen one extreme installation, where a rich doctor simply HAD
to have a basement even though local water table was high, and every
other house in the sub was on a crawl or slab. Whole network of sub-slab
perforated tile leading into 2 sump pits, and a doomsday overflow line
leading into a precast manhole-size sump in front yard, so silly doctor
could go rent a commercial pump and drop it in the hole in an extended
power outage, and pump it out into street. Not sure where they thought
it would go, other than into the neighbor's yards- whole sub was rather
flat.

And yes, you CAN seal out water, with proper prep work as foundation is
being built, as slab is poured, and wall sealer and proper footer drains
installed before backfill is put in. They do it in swimming pools all
the time. All a basement is, is a swimming pool with the water on the
outside. That doesn't mean you don't need to grade the yard properly and
have good gutters, of course, since nothing is perfect or lasts forever.

--
aem sends...- Hide quoted text -

around here code requires french drain with every new home built. and
exterior french drain too.

far too many wet basement complaints........

and would you really want to remodel a basement into a nice room/s
then have water issues a year or two after spending all that money?

the time to fix this is before remodel......