Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default META: Why plonk?

"J Burns" wrote in message

stuff snipped

AHR is so broad that it's as if everything here is crossposted. Each
thread will be seen by many who may not be knowledgeable or even
interested but still want to be heard, and there will be plenty to
follow suit. (Congressman Felix Walker was like that, demanding to be
heard when he had nothing to say. That's where the term "bunkum" came
from.)

You left out *why* that word - my N'oth Caahlina friends would be sore - he
was from Buncombe County! Henry Ford was alleged to have shortened it to
"Bunk" which then begat "debunk."

What if AHR split into several groups?
AHR structure
AHR appliances
AHR small engines/auto
AHR wiring/plumbing/hvac
AHR misc

Wishing to be entertained but not informed, I'd subscribe to AHR misc.
If I went to one of the other forums to be informed, I'd probably find
fewer uninformative posts.

I've actually been in groups where that happened. Nothing good came of it.
The spin offs died on the vine, fewer eyes saw fewer questions and that
resulted in fewer answers. And the trolls still went for the group with the
most messages. It's a great idea in theory, but trolls are like termites,
they go where the food is and both trolls and terrorists thrive on
attention. They have similar agendas. They want to know they are ****ing
somebody off and the best place to do that is where the people are. Sort of
why virus writers pick Windows - the most bang for the buck and bombers head
for Times Square. sigh

--
Bobby G.