Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bruce Esquibel[_2_] Bruce Esquibel[_2_] is offline

Default Slightly OT - Apple OS4 on 2G Touch ...

Arfa Daily wrote:

Has anyone else on here got a 2G that they've updated to OS4, and are having
similar problems ? Anyone got any ideas what is going on ? Looking on the
net, there would seem to be some issues, and a few people have mentioned
battery life problems that they didn't have before. A full "restore"
operation has been suggested. I tried that, but it bombed out half way
through with an "error" ... :-( It's also been suggested that you can
reload a previous firmware version, so another question. Does anyone know
what the last build number was, which is presumably what I had as I had
always done the updates as they became available ?

I updated mine (2g 16gb ipod) but don't seem to have a battery problem.

One thing I did notice after the update, check Settings - Notifications and
make sure that is off. If enabled, it will keep the wifi always on, even
when sleeping. I never used that push notification stuff and always had it
off, seems like after the update, it was enabled by default.

That error with the backup/restore is a common story, seems like a lot of
people ran into it, including myself. The apps and settings (including mail
and wifi) all were intact but lost all the music, playlists and videos. Plus
it took an abnormal amount of time to end up in a crash/error, better than 3
hours.

I don't think you can go back to 3.1.2 or 3.1.3, even if you find the ipsw,
apple isn't "signing" them to be installed.

The main comment I wanted to make was, it just could be a battery fail
problem. 3 people I know with the iPods (two 3rd gen, one 2nd) within the
last year, meaning the two within 4-6 months of purchase, the battery just
failed on them. They charge it overnight, next morning it only has like
20-30%, goes empty in 15 minutes. If it's within the one year warranty,
apple will swap it out with a new unit, if you do the song and dance to make
an appointment for the "genius bar".

There wasn't any warning with any of them, just fails instantly.

-bruce