Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Slightly OT - Apple OS4 on 2G Touch ...

I have a 2G iPod Touch, 8GB version. A few days ago, when iTunes told me
that there was new software available, I went ahead and downloaded it and
installed it to my Touch, as I always have before, without issue. The
installation went ok, and the unit seemed to still work ok. All my apps and
music had been reinstated to the device correctly. As of about 2am, when I
finished and went to bed, it was fully charged. However, when I next came to
use it around 18 hours later, the battery was totally rinsed. Not even
enough charge to turn on. Since then, I have confirmed that the standby
battery life has gone from days, to hours. Last night, I downloaded two
little apps that evaluate the state of charge of the battery. When it is
fully charged, both apps agree that it is, and that the standby time
available should be 300 hrs. I'm not sure that it has ever been good for
that much, but I would have said 200 anyway. One of the two apps also has a
system monitor, which tells you what routines are running, and how much
processor they are gobbling. I thought maybe the new OS4 was not fully
closing out apps when you exited them, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
It indicates around 97% idle processor, which seems reasonable considering
that it is running the app that is showing me this.

Has anyone else on here got a 2G that they've updated to OS4, and are having
similar problems ? Anyone got any ideas what is going on ? Looking on the
net, there would seem to be some issues, and a few people have mentioned
battery life problems that they didn't have before. A full "restore"
operation has been suggested. I tried that, but it bombed out half way
through with an "error" ... :-( It's also been suggested that you can
reload a previous firmware version, so another question. Does anyone know
what the last build number was, which is presumably what I had as I had
always done the updates as they became available ?

Don't you just hate it when something that's been working fine for a long
time, suddenly starts suffering issues as a result of an upgrade ... Just
to further muddy the waters, from lunchtime to a couple of hours ago, it
went from 100% charge to 50%. Now, in the last couple of hours, it doesn't
seem to have moved from 50%. I wonder if they are leaving the wifi
transmitter on, even when no app is running, and looking to use it. I guess
that might make short work of the battery, and wouldn't show as being any
kind of system task that was running. I might try manually switching off the
wifi to see if that has any effect.

Weights on the brain, weights on the brain, as my daughter is fond of saying
:-\

Arfa