Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_37_] Bill[_37_] is offline

Default Shop Wall and Electric

Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:
I measured and cut 1by8 into a 65" running board, using an antique
hand saw for posterity. I hammered three 7d (2 1/4") nails into each
end and when I nailed it to the roof joists, the roof joists in
between the ones on the ends were each 1/8" to 1/2" away from the
board. That could have worked out far worse, but I ended up using 6
nails instead of the 15 I had planned.

Stick a couple of nails in every other joist - not just the ends. You won't
have to worry about a springy board then.

Okay, that means just one more joist. I just checked and hand pressure
will just about close the 3/8" gap there, so a few size 7d nails surely
will.

I'll try to post a couple pictures on my web page that I took with my
wife's camera just for fun. This was just the 2nd time I've used the
camera in 5 years so don't allow your expectations to get too high!

Thank you!
Bill