Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_37_] Bill[_37_] is offline

Default Shop Wall and Electric

Doug Miller wrote:
In , wrote:
Bill wrote:
1) Is the 6-3 Romex cable suitable for a feeder cable as described?

I found the following,and thought it was insightful. The way that I
interpret it, using only 2-pole breakers might raise the effective
ampacity of a "50 Amp subpanel" to 100 Amps (of course this ignores the
extra heat generated by having 2 hot wires "filled" at the same time).
Is there any fruit to be picked here?

No. the fruit you're comparing are apples and oranges. A two-pole 50A breaker
supplies one 50A circuit at 240V = 12kVA. This is exactly the same as two 50A
circuits at 120V = 2 * 6kVA = 12kVA.

I mostly get it (the units kVA are new to me). The lesson here appears
to be that if I add two 15A 120v devices, than I should put one on each
side/leg, and that I should give some thought as to how devices may be
used in combination as I add breakers for them. I have never thought
this through to this level before (and it's good timing too). TYVM!

Bill