Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default engine power unit

Karl Townsend wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Karl Townsend wrote:

I have an 11 hp. water cooled Koehler diesel engine. I'd like to use it
power three different devices: a 3" trash pump, a three phase generator,
and
a two stage air compressor. I want to put it all on a pallet and use a
forktruck to move it around.

I'm at concept stage. Should I plan on a double pulley and V belt to each
unit? This could get too expensive but allows running device at
different
speed from engine. Or, can I just use a roller chain coupling between
units - remove double chain to exchange units - I think these only allow
about 20 thou misalignment. Anybody done this with success? Or, use a PTO
shaft - allows a lot of misalignment. Other suggestions?

"The Kid" will build it for me, mostly. He'll laser cut all sheet metal
up
to 1/2" thick and do the welding plus get the engine mounted and running.
just got to design and do any lathe or mill work.

Karl

Make everything fit a Cat 1 three point hitch format, i.e. one power
pallet with a Cat 1 type output, and all attachments individual to fit
Cat 1 hitch, so everything can be interchanged with a tractor if needed.
The power unit is basically just an immobile tractor. You can forklift
up the power unit with the 3pt attachment on it for easy movement.

I don't want to stifle any creativity here. But, my plan is to treat each of
the power consuming units like a mold in a molding press. they will all be
mounted to a plate say 18" by 24". The plate drops in a pocket and you
impact wench on four bolts. The large plate with the pocket has the engine
permanently mounted and is on a small skid. My real quandary at this point
is the best way to attach the rotating power. I'm leaning to two of the
roller chain couplings and a short shaft between engine and unit.

But, I do know this group can com up with great ideas I hadn't considered.

Karl

You're reinventing the wheel. Just make the generator, pump, compressor,
etc. Cat 1 3 point hitch attachments. Make your power unit with a Cat 1
3 point hitch type output. All the components are readily available and
inexpensive, Cat 1 pins, 1-3/8 6 spline shafts, couplings, overrun
clutches, etc. You power skid is just fine, but use a standard output
method so it is flexible. You power skid can power any Cat 1 3pt
implement, and your generator, pump and compressor can readily be