Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default engine power unit

Karl Townsend wrote:

I have an 11 hp. water cooled Koehler diesel engine. I'd like to use it to
power three different devices: a 3" trash pump, a three phase generator, and
a two stage air compressor. I want to put it all on a pallet and use a
forktruck to move it around.

I'm at concept stage. Should I plan on a double pulley and V belt to each
unit? This could get too expensive but allows running device at different
speed from engine. Or, can I just use a roller chain coupling between
units - remove double chain to exchange units - I think these only allow
about 20 thou misalignment. Anybody done this with success? Or, use a PTO
shaft - allows a lot of misalignment. Other suggestions?

"The Kid" will build it for me, mostly. He'll laser cut all sheet metal up
to 1/2" thick and do the welding plus get the engine mounted and running. I
just got to design and do any lathe or mill work.

Karl

Make everything fit a Cat 1 three point hitch format, i.e. one power
pallet with a Cat 1 type output, and all attachments individual to fit
Cat 1 hitch, so everything can be interchanged with a tractor if needed.
The power unit is basically just an immobile tractor. You can forklift
up the power unit with the 3pt attachment on it for easy movement.