Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default engine power unit

On Jun 29, 7:14*am, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:
I have an 11 hp. water cooled Koehler diesel engine. I'd like to use it to
power three different devices: a 3" trash pump, a three phase generator, and
a two stage air compressor. I want to put it all on a pallet and use a
forktruck to move it around.

I'm at concept stage. Should I plan on a double pulley and V belt to each
unit? This could get *too expensive but allows running device at different
speed from engine. Or, can I just use a roller chain coupling between
units - remove double chain to exchange units - I think these only allow
about 20 thou misalignment. Anybody done this with success? Or, use a PTO
shaft - allows a lot of misalignment. Other suggestions?

"The Kid" will build it for me, mostly. He'll laser cut all sheet metal up
to 1/2" thick and do the welding plus get the engine mounted and running. I
just got to design and do any lathe or mill work.

Karl

How about a line shaft down the center of the trailer with the engine
and loads at the corners? They could be on hinged tensioning platforms
so you can disconnect the unused ones and hang their belts on hooks,
off the rotating shaft. That costs you the shaft, bearings and a
pulley, maybe $100, and a rigid frame to support a pillow block at
each pulley, but lets each drive be permanent and independent.

I think I would use four-bolt flanged blocks that attach to open-
topped U frames so you can lift the shaft out to replace the belts.
http://southernbulk.com/store/images...ll-Bearing.jpg
http://www.robotcombat.com/products/..._shafts_lg.jpg
It's easy to mill steps in the key if the shaft and pulley slots are
different.
After you align the shaft you could attach guide blocks under the end
bearings so the shaft just drops into place the next time.

jsw