Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Downie[_3_] Tim Downie[_3_] is offline

Default Making a metal cap for a wooden post

Spamlet wrote:
"Tim Downie" wrote in message
pcb1962 wrote:
On 1 July, 20:45, "Tim Downie" wrote:
I've an idea to create a memorial post for a departed friend which
would consist of a domed metal cap on a 4"x4" post.

I had originally though of making the cap of lead but a quick
google suggest that lead "burning" is well beyond my skills &
equipment levels so I wondered if either I can work the lead
"panel beater style" to cover the top and extend down the sides
for a few inches or whether I should consider a different metal
like an aluminium alloy.

Copper would be fairly easy, as long as you have a suitable wooden
former. Wickes sell round balls for the top of newel posts that
would be ideal, £9 IIRC). You'd need to anneal the copper a few
times so a blowtorch would be handy. Any model engineering supplier
can sell you a suitable piece of copper.

That sounds like a good idea. Ta.

Tim

Long time since school metalwork, but I would think making a ball
from sheet would be v difficult.

But I'm not making a ball, I just want a metal covered domed top to the
post, a hemisphere.

Think you would need to make two
'bowls' and solder them together. Also, the vandal and tea-leaf,
dimension would mean that the post has to be away from anywhere it
can be seen. Even then, leaving it hollow is inviting it to be
squashed, however careful you try to be.

Well yes, but then I wasn't planning on leaving it hollow. As you say, it
would make it too easy to dent.

Tim