Posted to uk.d-i-y
pcb1962[_2_] pcb1962[_2_] is offline

Default Making a metal cap for a wooden post

On 1 July, 20:45, "Tim Downie" wrote:
I've an idea to create a memorial post for a departed friend which would
consist of a domed metal cap on a 4"x4" post.

I had originally though of making the cap of lead but a quick google suggest
that lead "burning" is well beyond my skills & equipment levels so I
wondered if either I can work the lead "panel beater style" to cover the top
and extend down the sides for a few inches or whether I should consider a
different metal like an aluminium alloy.

Copper would be fairly easy, as long as you have a suitable wooden
former. Wickes sell round balls for the top of newel posts that would
be ideal, £9 IIRC). You'd need to anneal the copper a few times so a
blowtorch would be handy. Any model engineering supplier can sell you
a suitable piece of copper.