Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default Making a metal cap for a wooden post

In message , Tim Downie
writes
I've an idea to create a memorial post for a departed friend which
would consist of a domed metal cap on a 4"x4" post.

I had originally though of making the cap of lead but a quick google
suggest that lead "burning" is well beyond my skills & equipment levels
so I wondered if either I can work the lead "panel beater style" to
cover the top and extend down the sides for a few inches or whether I
should consider a different metal like an aluminium alloy.

Of course I could just contract the work out to someone to do properly
but I'd like to have a go myself.

Any suggestions?

You could go with the BT solution to telegraph pole tops and use an
inverted V.

regards

--
Tim Lamb