Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Watts Tim Watts is offline

Default Hackable Linux NAS box

wibbled on Friday 25 June 2010 12:17

I have a WD Mybook World Edition, a neat little NAS which consumes
only 6 watts but with the big plus of having proper ssh access built
in so you can get into it, add programs (I've added rdiff-backup) etc.

Much cheaper than Synology plus a big disk, much lower power than a
d-i-y Linux box (unless you go very esoteric).

There's quite an active user community and they have developed a
proper repository of software and installation/upgrade facilities.

Could I just check Chris: is this the user community you are talking of:

http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/

and do you remember which version you have? I'm looking at the WDH1NC15000E

http://www.dabs.com/products/western...-mybook-world-
edition-1-5tb-65X5.html?refs=50473

- I'm just cautious about finding that was a big design jump and none of
the hacks work anymore!

I'm looking at putting rsnapshot on mine.

Cheers

Tim

--
Tim Watts