Posted to alt.home.repair
harry harry is offline

Default Electric Meter

On Jun 20, 11:13*pm, "EXT" wrote:
(rates are/will be tiered

so that it will be cheaper at curtain times of the day).

Yeah, that was the pitch given by the politicians, it sounded pie in the
sky, and in this area has proven to be so. Yes, rates are tiered, and some
times they are cheaper than other times, but never cheaper than they were
under the old flat rate. Possibly the midnight to 6:00 am may get close to
the old all day rate, but watch out for the supper hour rate, you may be
tempted to shut all power off at that time.

We had the world's first nuclear power. At that time, politicians
told us that in a few years electricity would be free & therefore no
meter would be needed. Hah!
All our meters were indoors up 'til the 1970's. Now they are mostly
in a cabinet outside. The electricity/gas company encourages people
to read their own meters & report in by internet or telephone. You put
your reading in using the phone keypad. Smart meters are now being
installed.....
Unclear excactly how smart they will be.