Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bar Fly Bar Fly is offline

Default OT-Open warfare in chicago

"Sunworshipper" wrote in message
On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 19:02:18 -0500, "Bar Fly" wrote:

On 2010-06-22, wrote:
Ten people were killed and at least 44 others were shot across the
city
Friday night into early Monday, including a baby girl who suffered a
graze
wound to the neck when gunfire erupted at a Near West Side barbecue.

Chicago is overall an unpleasant place to live, very hostile and
inconvenient. I am glad that I am not living there.

Yeah, and it's hard to believe so much carnage is going on in a place
where they banned virtually all guns. You would think a place where it
was
against the law for anyone to own guns would be one of the safest places
in the would, wouldn't you? Unless maybe it's not the guns that are the
problem. Could that be it?

Hawke

If Chicago's West and South sides were their own cities, they'd be the
deadliest and most violent in America

Collectively, according to a Chicago Reporter analysis, Chicago's 11th and
15th police districts on the West Side had a higher murder rate last year
than New Orleans, the nation's deadliest city in 2009. Meanwhile, on the
South Side, collectively, the 6th and 7th districts had a higher rate of
violent crime than St. Louis, the nation's leading city for violent crime
per capita in 2009.

In 2009, the 6th, 7th, 11th and 15th police districts had the four highest
murder rates, among Chicago's 25 police districts. Those districts were
also
home to four of the city's five highest rates of violent crime.

In 2009, the 11th district--which includes West Garfield Park, most of
East
Garfield Park and portions of Austin, the Near West Side and North
Lawndale--recorded 55 murders. It was the highest one-year total for any
district in the city since the 11th district tallied 57 murders in 2003.
The
collective murder rate for the 11th and 15th police districts--about 54
murders per 100,000 residents--was higher than the 51 per 100,000 recorded
for New Orleans, the nation's leader.

On the South Side, the 6th district--which includes most of Auburn Gresham
and Chatham and portions of Greater Grand Crossing and Roseland--logged
more
than 2,700 incidents of violent crime in 2009. It was the first time in
more
than a decade that a police district other than the 7th district led the
city in violent crime. The 7th district, which sits just north of the 6th
district and includes most of Englewood and West Englewood and portions of
Greater Grand Crossing, ranked second in 2009. Collectively, the rate of
violent crime in those two districts topped 2,750 incidents per 100,000
residents, about 700 more incidents per 100,000 than St. Louis, which led
the nation in 2009.

Map created using Maptitude 5.0

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/chic...n-america.html

I've driven through Chicago maybe 6 times lengthways, once by bus late
at night, and the airport maybe 4 times. That has got to be the most
freighting place I've been to. One time I took the wrong 'highway' and
ended up around your blurry No.2 hole and luckily found a gas station.
This was '79-'80 about 10 pm and there must have been a dozen black
guys spread around the fence, I pulled out a gun and walked up to the
3" of glass and paid for the gas. I surly didn't care what their gun
laws where. The bus was fun at 4 stories underground, ask ole Sarah
who was playing wood tick for a couple of hours.After her parents
showed up I went to see the "sky". The buildings just blend in with
the pitch black smog at midnight up and sideways, for a fact that is
one scary place. Bet it is 10 times as fun now.

Every time I go to Hell A I'm cautious, but Chicago beats it hands
down, I drive around NYC, never seen it.

SW

Glad you made it out of Obamaland safely.