Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RBnDFW RBnDFW is offline

Default OT what is this strange animal in our backyard

Ed Huntress wrote:
On 2010-06-18, Wes wrote:
wrote:

For in-town use, I'd recommend one of the more potent air rifles, you
can still get a good springer for under $120. That should take care
of most anything up to rabbit size with proper shot placement. Ammo
is a hell of a lot cheaper than .22s, too.
Speaking of air rifles, a .22 cal or better would be a nice and quiet
rifle.
I have a Gamo `1000 FPS .177 air rifle, it is nothing short of
amazing. I once became upset at squirrels, took a rifle, out of five
shots, I killed three with headshots and fatally injured the fourth.

I have a couple of magnum air guns in that class, and I enjoy them.
But for the same or more power with less noice, nothing beats a
bolt-action or lever .22 with a long (22" or more) barrel shooting CB
Caps.
The only noise you hear is click of the firing pin and thunk of the
bullet hitting the target. No blast at all.

Energy on target is several times that of a pellet gun, with less noise.
That said, neither would be appropriate for small game.

I used CB caps for killing squirrels in my parents' back yard. As you say,
they're all but silent. And one will go right through a squirrel. I killed
at least a dozen of them, and never had one escape wounded.

Head shots?