Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT what is this strange animal in our backyard

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 16:04:47 -0400
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

snip
Now I'm really curious about this. Was it a myth? Or was there a reversal
of
the law at some point?

I have some old Michigan hunting rules & regs. I know they don't go
back to the time you remember though, I'm not as old as most people
think ;-)

I resemble that remark. d8-)

I'll try and look around for them later and see what they say.

Ok. Don't bust a gut over it. Googling around, it looks to me like it's an
old wive's tale. But who knows? There have been some strange game laws over
the years.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
On Jun 19, 12:41 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
Try this trick: When no one is in your yard except for a chuck chomping
his
way through your vegetation, give a sharp, short, high-pitched whistle. Or
use a toy whistle to do it if you can't whistle. That fluttering sound of
regular whistle does not help; pull out the little ball, if you can.

If the chuck is comfy he will sit up on his hind legs and just look. Shoot
now. This is something that varmint hunters have been doing for many
years,
and it usually works.

If the chuck is nervous, he will run when you whistle. Your chances of
getting a clean, still head shot will be much less. 'Time for the trap.

--
Ed Huntress

After sitting alert and motionless for a while my lips are too dry
when I try to whistle. Do you know if an ultrasonic dog whistle works?

I have no idea. The groundhogs themselves make the audible whistling noise.
It's some kind of communication among them. That's why they're sometimes
called "whistle pigs."

I don't want to attract the neighbors' attention as well, since they
might all want a shot themselves.

Several mouth noises that don't sound human or threatening work, like
clucking and hissing. They sit up and look for the source.

Aha. I've only tried the whistle. I usually can get them to sit up and look.

OTOH if you make a loud deep WOOF like a large dog lots of animals
flee in terror even if they were staring at you, who are obviously not
the large dog. That's my immediate reaction to a sudden nearby noise
at night outdoors. It works on people too.

g The psychology of groundhogs is something I'll have to leave to others.

I use a kissing/smacking sound on the back of my hand to get squirrels to
stop and look. Sometimes they'll start chattering when you do that. Then you
have a still shot at them.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-06-19, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 18:52:26 -0400, Wes

On 2010-06-18, Wes wrote:
wrote:

For in-town use, I'd recommend one of the more potent air rifles, you
can still get a good springer for under $120. That should take care
of most anything up to rabbit size with proper shot placement. Ammo
is a hell of a lot cheaper than .22s, too.

Speaking of air rifles, a .22 cal or better would be a nice and quiet
rifle.

I have a Gamo `1000 FPS .177 air rifle, it is nothing short of
amazing. I once became upset at squirrels, took a rifle, out of five
shots, I killed three with headshots and fatally injured the fourth.

(That should take out a woodchuck, Ig.)

I know that a pellet from this air rifle goes through 1/2 inch
plywood. (I hope that I remember right)

I heard from a few people who said that I could not kill a groundhog
with that and now you say I can. Hm

Read carefully. You can take out a woodchuck with almost anything *if you
make a head shot*. That's what a couple of people have explained to you. If
you're able and disciplined to do that, go for it.

Jim Wilkins pointed out why 'chucks are hard to kill if you don't shoot them
in the head. His is not some minority opinion. Having shot and killed a
couple hundred of them, and having once immersed myself in the
recommendations from the wildcat clan who shot them all the time, I can
agree what Jim says is widely known among varmint hunters. They don't die
easily if shot indisciminately in the body.

If you don't kill them, they'll make it into their hole and die there. That
may not be so bad if you fill the hole immediately, or, if the hole is under
your porch, it can produce a stinking mess that will disgust you for several
weeks. g

OK, I got it. The groundhog does not want to go into the havahart
trap, even though it's been 20 hours. In fact, I have not seen him
since I started running the 40 lb rock tumbler in the shed.

In any case, time for more drastic measures.

What I would REALLY not want is to injure this woodchuck, so that it
runs away and then dies in a burrow under my porch. That would really
stink!

Bingo. If your chucks are calm enough that they'll sit still for you to
shoot, maybe you can make a clean head shot.

Try this trick: When no one is in your yard except for a chuck chomping his
way through your vegetation, give a sharp, short, high-pitched whistle. Or
use a toy whistle to do it if you can't whistle. That fluttering sound of a
regular whistle does not help; pull out the little ball, if you can.

If the chuck is comfy he will sit up on his hind legs and just look. Shoot
now. This is something that varmint hunters have been doing for many years,
and it usually works.

If the chuck is nervous, he will run when you whistle. Your chances of
getting a clean, still head shot will be much less. 'Time for the trap.

Sounds good, I can whistle.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

Wes can update me on this, but during at least part of the time when I lived
in Michigan (1966 - 1973), it was illegal to kill porkies. Not because they
were trying to preserve them -- they do a hell of a lot of damage to
trees -- but because they were the only animal slow enough that you could
kill one with a stick. It was an ancient law that was based on the idea that
someone lost in the woods could always catch and kill a porcupine to eat.

I have heard that story before from friends that have lived here longer than I have.

My GoogleFu wasn't up to it and sadly, some hunting regulation documents that were part of
grandpa's estate were disposed of a year or so ago.

I'll ask my 68 year old uncle if he recalls anything about this tomorrow when I have lunch
at mom's.

I'm not willing to take a stand on this one.

About 10 years ago, I was climbing up into my maple tree to try my hand at bow hunting
when I noiced there was a monster porky above me. I like that tree, it has a 3' trunk
and is a real tree compared to the pines on my property.

So I trudge back to the house ( 1120 feet), dump the bow, grab the rifle, go back out to
tree. Shoot the porky, take the rifle back to the house, grab the bow, head back to the
tree. Pick up the porky, he was a big one, my arm got tired carrying him out into the
woods beyond my property so my dog didn't run into it. You don't carry a porky close to
your body if you get my drift.

Anyway, by the time I got up in the tree, the morning was fairly wasted, and I was getting
tired. I did see a couple deer. They spotted me, I coudn't get the bow up.

I wasn't about to have a bow and a rifle in the same place while deer hunting during bow
season.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-06-18, Wes wrote:
wrote:

[...]

You might have to be patient. The trap probably smells new and alien to an
animal. It may have to spend a week outdoors before it's effective. When I
trapped weasels and muskrats, we buried our traps in mud for a week before
using them.

Try putting a few more apple slices *outside* of the trap, but nearby.

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus13320 wrote:

My grandpa commanded something like this (if I remember his
WWII photographs correctly).

http://tinyurl.com/2cu5o56

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/280_mm_mortar_M1939_(Br-5)

He had nightmares almost every night.

My adopta dad was an expert with a flame thrower and served in WWII. Mom told me he had
some scary bad nightmares.

I have no problems understanding why. US Army 1943-63.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 19, 5:19*pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
I use a kissing/smacking sound on the back of my hand to get squirrels to
stop and look. Sometimes they'll start chattering when you do that. Then you
have a still shot at them.

--
Ed Huntress

I think the sound itself is less important than not moving when you
make it.

I've encountered wild animals while riding the wooded trail along the
river behind the Segway plant. The beat-up old engineering machine I
had borrowed wasn't quiet and I was standing upright in the open and
gliding along right past the wild turkeys and deer that certainly knew
I was there but didn't take me for dangerous until I moved one leg a
little. Hands didn't bother them too much.

Deer stand still and watch when I'm on my tractor too.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 19, 7:06*pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
You might have to be patient. The trap probably smells new and alien to an
animal. It may have to spend a week outdoors before it's effective. When I
trapped weasels and muskrats, we buried our traps in mud for a week before
using them.

I think they need to be left out in the rain at least once. Maybe a
washing with an unscented soap would help.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

[...]

See the discussion with Karl. I'm beginning to believe it was an old wive's
tale. It appears to be widely believed, but I can't find any documentation
for it.

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

So, you don't set traps where kids and dogs can get at them. Simple.

I support hunting and generally support trapping but if I'm on a nature or hiking trail
and my dog (well if I had a dog) stepped into a trap while sticking near me, there would
be a problem.

I *hope* trapping and hunting seasons don't overlap. Expecially rabbit and upland game
seasons.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
My adopta dad was an expert with a flame thrower and served in WWII. Mom told me he had
some scary bad nightmares.

I have no problems understanding why. US Army 1943-63.

Wes

One of my cousins toted one of them in south pacific.
He still has a severe case of "anti anything JAP".
I'm almost afraid to park my Subaru in front of his
house when I visit. :-)
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-06-19, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus13320 wrote:

My grandpa commanded something like this (if I remember his
WWII photographs correctly).

http://tinyurl.com/2cu5o56

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/280_mm_mortar_M1939_(Br-5)

He had nightmares almost every night.

My adopta dad was an expert with a flame thrower and served in WWII. Mom told me he had
some scary bad nightmares.

I have no problems understanding why. US Army 1943-63.

I think that nowadays it is called "PTSD". I recall visiting my
grandparents, he would scream, at night, on top of his lungs, "TANKS!"
and that sort of thing. I can only imagine that he had some very scary
moments.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 19, 7:28*pm, Wes wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:
I support hunting and generally support trapping but if I'm on a nature or hiking trail
and my dog (well if I had a dog) stepped into a trap while sticking near me, there would
be a problem....
Wes

Never assume, especially in the back woods, but I *hope* someone with
the ability to recognize animal trails can detect human trails too,
and avoid them. We sure didn't need the publicity.

Conibear traps are set in shallow water below the mudslides muskrats
make to catch one when it pokes its head through. They weren't baited
or hidden, we stuck sticks in the mud on either side to funnel them
in.

The larger ones for bobcats, wolverines, fishers etc are set on land
and AFAIK also not hidden. I think you lean a log against a tree trunk
to give them a lazy animal's access and put the baited trap part way
up it.

If those things are present do you want to be strolling around?
http://www.brainardbrewing.com/blog/...fisher-cat.jpg

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 19, 8:42*pm, Lewis Hartswick wrote:
* One of my cousins toted one of them in south pacific.
He still has a severe case of "anti anything JAP".
I'm almost afraid to park my Subaru in front of his
house when I visit. :-)
* * ...lew...

My father did, too, until I reminded him of how thoroughly we hit them
back, details that came out after the war when they only wanted to
forget.

Then he remembered picking up the crew of a lone B-29 at their
dispersal area and driving them back to debriefing. They weren't
wounded and the plane was undamaged, but he had never seen such silent
shell-shock on an air crew. He guessed that they had returned from one
of the A-bomb missions.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 19:26:11 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

[...]

The spruce grouse fills that niche here in northern New England. I've
heard the Indians would only kill one in a pinch. Hunting spruce
grouse is not allowed in ME, though I suspect that's because there
wouldn't be any if it were allowed, not because of tradition. Even so,
I've only seen them when hiking in remote areas. When you flush one
it'll fly from cover to a low branch and watch you walk by. If they
stayed put, you'd rarely notice them.

--
Ned Simmons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

[...]

I hear they taste like a cross between a peregrine falcon and a bald eagle,
with spruce flavor. Any truth to that? d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 03:07:17 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 14:52:07 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

wrote in message
On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 13:29:29 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Ignoramus13320" wrote in message
news:1N6dnZC3S4ayOIbRnZ2dnUVZ_t6dnZ2d@giganew s.com...

Sounds like havahart is the way to go.

Make sure it's a BIG one.

A reminder about live traps - rig a remote release in case it traps
something you don't want ... like a skunk. :-)

Wayne

Oh, boy, do I have a story about that. g I had to forge a hook on the
end
of a LONG stick (actually, two 11' surf rods taped together) when that
unfortunate circumstance occurred. I wrapped myself in a plastic drop
cloth
before getting that close. That was for my wooden box trap. If I'd caught
one in the Havahart (spring-loaded door, with a latch) I think I would
have
just kept him in there as a pet and fed him with the surf rods...

I learned a couple years ago that I'm part of local lore in the small
town in Nova Scotia my mother's family came from.

About 35 years ago I was camping on my grandmother's timber lot with a
couple friends. I had made a trip to Labrador, hitching and by ferry,
and while there met a fellow who taught me how to snare rabbits.
Anxious to impress my friends with my new skills I got hold of some
wire, found all sorts of rabbit runs in an abandoned orchard, and
figured to have a couple rabbits in no time. I set 3 or 4 snares in
the runs around the orchard. When I returned they were all pushed
aside, and not a single rabbit. I reset them, opening the loops a
little wider. Same result. Damn, these must be big rabbits. Opened the
loops wider, and came back several hours later to find a very angry
porcupine in one of the snares. There was no way to release him, so I
was forced to club him to death with a stout branch. After that we
felt obligated to eat him, and proceeded to roast him on a spit. It
was edible, but not something you'd want to eat a lot of, so I made a
big pot of lentil stew with the leftovers. That's the way to cook
'pine.

My uncle has since inherited the land and is building a camp. I was
there a few years ago and he told me some locals stopped by to visit
and wanted to know whether he was related to the guy who eats
porcupines.

--
Ned Simmons

Ha! Good one!

I'm told that porkies that live among evergreens taste like a pine tree.
That's one critter I've never eaten.

Wes can update me on this, but during at least part of the time when I lived
in Michigan (1966 - 1973), it was illegal to kill porkies. Not because they
were trying to preserve them -- they do a hell of a lot of damage to
trees -- but because they were the only animal slow enough that you could
kill one with a stick. It was an ancient law that was based on the idea that
someone lost in the woods could always catch and kill a porcupine to eat.

During that time the conservationists were raising hell about the law,
pointing to the awful number of trees they destroyed. I never did hear how
that legal fight came out.

In the fifties, it was generally regarded as unsportsmanlike to kill a
porkie in Michigan for the reason you stated, but it wasn't illegal.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 19:46:22 -0500, Ignoramus20428

On 2010-06-19, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus13320 wrote:

My grandpa commanded something like this (if I remember his
WWII photographs correctly).

http://tinyurl.com/2cu5o56

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/280_mm_mortar_M1939_(Br-5)

He had nightmares almost every night.

My adopta dad was an expert with a flame thrower and served in WWII. Mom told me he had
some scary bad nightmares.

I have no problems understanding why. US Army 1943-63.

I think that nowadays it is called "PTSD". I recall visiting my
grandparents, he would scream, at night, on top of his lungs, "TANKS!"
and that sort of thing. I can only imagine that he had some very scary
moments.

The proper response to this is to scream "YOU'RE WELCOME!"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message
. ..
On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 14:52:07 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

m...
wrote:

[...]

That may be the origin of the whole idea.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 19, 11:12*pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
"Ned Simmons" wrote in message
...The spruce grouse ...

I hear they taste like a cross between a peregrine falcon and a bald eagle,
with spruce flavor. Any truth to that? d8-)
Ed Huntress

"Preserve endangered species; collect the full set."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

The spruce grouse fills that niche here in northern New England. I've
heard the Indians would only kill one in a pinch. Hunting spruce
grouse is not allowed in ME, though I suspect that's because there
wouldn't be any if it were allowed, not because of tradition. Even so,
I've only seen them when hiking in remote areas. When you flush one
it'll fly from cover to a low branch and watch you walk by. If they
stayed put, you'd rarely notice them.

I hear they taste like a cross between a peregrine falcon and a bald eagle,
with spruce flavor. Any truth to that? d8-)

Closer to spotted owl, actually...

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 23:12:24 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message

The spruce grouse fills that niche here in northern New England. I've
heard the Indians would only kill one in a pinch. Hunting spruce
grouse is not allowed in ME, though I suspect that's because there
wouldn't be any if it were allowed, not because of tradition. Even so,
I've only seen them when hiking in remote areas. When you flush one
it'll fly from cover to a low branch and watch you walk by. If they
stayed put, you'd rarely notice them.

I hear they taste like a cross between a peregrine falcon and a bald eagle,
with spruce flavor. Any truth to that? d8-)

I can't say, I've never had peregrine falcon.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 16:22:29 -0400
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 16:04:47 -0400

snip
I'll try and look around for them later and see what they say.

Ok. Don't bust a gut over it. Googling around, it looks to me like it's an
old wive's tale. But who knows? There have been some strange game laws over
the years.

Going back to 1982-83 was easy. No closed season for Porcupine. It read
pretty much the same as what I quoted from 2008.

I might have some Rules & Regs from the early 1970's, but I couldn't
find them in the "easy" places. Now the next most likely place is
way-to-much-work. Haven't looked there for maybe 5 years and that was
only because I didn't have any other choice. Ever hear of Fibber
McGee's closet? Snort! But wait, it's even worse than that. Have to
move many years of accumulation piled in front of the door. I don't
think so...

I did find a few other odds and ends though that I had kinda forgotten
about, so it wasn't all for naught

Maybe Wes has some more insight or is a better pack-rat than I.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
[...]

Aha. That's why I don't mind cleaning the garage. I always find something
I've been missing.

Maybe Wes has some more insight or is a better pack-rat than I.

I think Don probably has it right. It's a guess, but it sounds like a good
one -- a matter of sportsmanship, rather than a law.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 13:35:17 -0500, Ignoramus20428

On 2010-06-19, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Ignoramus20428 wrote:
What I would REALLY not want is to injure this woodchuck, so that it
runs away and then dies in a burrow under my porch. That would really
stink!

Dying in the burrow probably wouldn't be so bad, if you closed it up
with dirt. I once had a raccoon die under a plywood "porch" that was
only inches off the ground & the only way to extract the corpse was to
reach in & pull it out. Piece by piece, that is, 'cause by the time I
had figured out where that awful smell was coming from, it was well into
decomposition. That was THE most disgusting thing I've ever done, and
I've done some disgusting things.

That does sound very disgusting indeed. I am not easily grossed out,
and was called to remove dead animals, but not this big and not in
advanced stage of decomposition.

People in this condition..are far worse.

Stick Vicks up your nose and burn your clothes afterwards worse.

I was once asked to check on a very nice old lady who lived in a nice
big house with about 15 nice, lovable cats. No one heard from her in a
few weeks..in Mid July in the Central Valley of California.

When I arrived and rang the bell.. I smelled "The Smell"..and busted
into the house to find the dear old lady had passed in her sleep. About
2-3 weeks earlier. The nice old lady had been largely eaten by her
cats, who were in the process of starving. But..they all slept with
what was left of her, keeping her company. Judging by what was
left..the cats waited until she bloated, then exploded before digging
in. I figured they had gone without food for at least 8-10 days before
digging in..

Interesting scene..a corpse with much of the soft tissues eaten, the
carcass crawling with maggots...literally pounds of them and the cats,
rubbing up against my legs, happy to see someone, meowing and purring,
ragged and out of water and not willing to fight the maggots for anymore
of their owner.

Fortunately Id not eaten that day and had seen some similar stuff in the
military. The coroner and I were the only two that didnt stagger
outside and puke, but neither he and I ran out for burgers afterwards
either.

Got all the cats adopted out too. Though to be fair...they had to be
shampooed and washed twice, as Mrs Conns aroma tended to stick in the
hair. I got 2 of them myself. Nice older cats. One lived another 3 yrs,
the other lived another 5.

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 21:36:09 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Box trap, spray paint, and release a couple blocks away. No problem.

But neuter first, with a Ginsu knife from the kitchen.

Its only common courtesy.

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 01:29:30 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

Actually, when I shoot a squirrel...there really isnt a hell of a lot
left to eat. The California Cat Squirrel is considered a varmint, is
often tick and flea infested and while fun to shoot at long ranges with
a decent varmint rifle..is hardly something one wishes to eat.

Youtube has plenty of 22-250 vrs Squirrel videos.

My dad loved squirrel: Indiana gray and black squirrels, not the
chittering little varmints. He shot them offhand thru the head with
his Browning SA-22 rifle, made in Belgium and chambered for shorts.
Dad regarded anything more than shorts with hollowpoints as excessive
for squirrel hunting.

He cleaned 'em, Dr. Ma cooked 'em. Yum!

He later had to sell that rifle to make ends meet, that being in a
time when Americans actually took responsibility for their lives,
livelihoods and families. He always regretted having to do that, but
in that era a man didn't expect and wouldn't allow the government to
support him or his family if there was any way to avoid that shame.
The SA-22 is the rifle held by John Moses Browning in the Wiki about
him:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Browning

It was out of production for some time, but I came across one a couple
of years ago and was reluctant to leave the store without it because
it was my Dad's favorite rifle. Mary made me buy it. No kidding!
When I balked with indecision because it was kinda pricey for a .22,
she bought the rifle doing the 4473 with her name and her creds, my
VISA card. She's a woman who knows how and when to make a decision. I
like that about her. She ain't always right but her track record is
quite respectable.

It comes apart, can be easily packed in a suitcase. Dad liked that
because he could take it on the train so he could go hunting when he
returned to Indiana.

It is amazingly accurate for such a small rifle with iron sights, and
it is a lot of fun to shoot even though I can't see iron sights like I
could as a youth and never could like my Dad could. I was about as
good as any the Army had at the time, nowhere near as good as Dad.

The Ruger 10-22 is a very popular rifle. I can see why it's popular,
but it isn't in the same league or even the same galaxy as the John
Moses Browning designed Browning SA-22 semiautomatic .22 rimfire
rifle.

Ive always had an ongoing love affair with the Marlin 39 lever action
22s. I simply love em. I had several and after I became a father to a
boy with many medical issues, I had to sell my collection several times
to pay medical bills, so went 20 odd years without a 39. Id see em at
gun shows and whatnot..but they were always a bit dear for me and I
turned away from them when I found one.

One of the posters here, needed some lathe repair and whatnot (the
helicopter guy..having a stroke moment about his name...damnit) and we
dickered a bit and he mentioned he had one he would be interested in
swapping for the work.

I shoot it regularly these days VBG and its the single most carried
rifle I own now days. (well..other than my truck Survival gun..a chopped
and channeled #4 Lee Enfield...but it hardly gets "carried"

Ive liked the Browning, owned several of them, including the not half
bad Norinco version...but LOVE the 39 Marlin

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firear.../golden39a.asp

Ive got about 9-11 other "utility" 22s, including a couple Rugers..but
they simply dont hold a cake to the 39.

Crom but I love that rifle!

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-06-19, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Ignoramus20428 wrote:
[...]

I am thinking, for cases, like this, a gas mask can help some sensitive
people to be more comfortable.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 21, 8:55*am, Ignoramus3314

I am thinking, for cases, like this, a gas mask can help some sensitive
people to be more comfortable.

Only if you can rip it off very quickly with gloves on when you
suddenly have to vomit.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 04:07:33 -0700 (PDT), Jim Wilkins
wrote:

On Jun 21, 3:46*am, Gunner Asch wrote:
One of the posters here, needed some lathe repair and whatnot (the
helicopter guy..having a stroke moment about his name...damnit) and we
dickered a bit and he mentioned he had one he would be interested in
swapping for the work.
Gunner

Stu Fields?

Yes!

Thank you Stu!

And you too Jim.

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-06-19, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Ignoramus20428 wrote:
[...]

The best way I found, over the years, is to immediately pour dried
coffee in a frying pan, and put it on the strove to burn and turn into
smoke. Does a pretty good job of covering The Smell

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-06-18, Wes wrote:
wrote:

For in-town use, I'd recommend one of the more potent air rifles, you
can still get a good springer for under $120. That should take care
of most anything up to rabbit size with proper shot placement. Ammo
is a hell of a lot cheaper than .22s, too.
Speaking of air rifles, a .22 cal or better would be a nice and quiet
rifle.

I have a Gamo `1000 FPS .177 air rifle, it is nothing short of
amazing. I once became upset at squirrels, took a rifle, out of five
shots, I killed three with headshots and fatally injured the fourth.

I have a couple of magnum air guns in that class, and I enjoy them.
But for the same or more power with less noice, nothing beats a
bolt-action or lever .22 with a long (22" or more) barrel shooting CB
Caps.
The only noise you hear is click of the firing pin and thunk of the
bullet hitting the target. No blast at all.

Energy on target is several times that of a pellet gun, with less noise.
That said, neither would be appropriate for small game.

I used CB caps for killing squirrels in my parents' back yard. As you say,
they're all but silent. And one will go right through a squirrel. I killed
at least a dozen of them, and never had one escape wounded.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RBnDFW" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
On 2010-06-18, Wes wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Head shots?

About half the time. The first one was aimed at the head, but went clean
through the chest. Some others were through the body rather than the head.

A CB cap in a rifle chambered for long rifle ammo often is not accurate. My
ancient single-shot .22 was very accurate with standard velocity .22 LR (I
used it to earn my Marksmanship Merit Badge). But it was not good with
shorts, and even worse with CB caps. It slung them in about a 1" circle at
50 feet. The bullet makes a long jump to the rifling. I missed some shots
clean that I never would have missed with LRs.

It was good enough to kill the squirrels that sat in an oak tree that hung
over my parents' swimming pool and tossed the acorn shell pieces into the
deep end. d8-) I never minded vacuuming whole acorns (I could get most of
them up with a net) but bits of shell would clog the filter intake.

BTW, I also tried some BB caps in that rifle. I got them from England; they
had copper shell cases, or possibly they were red brass. The original BB
caps from the 1920s and '30s fired round balls but by the time I got mine,
around 1964, they were using very short conical bullets. Their accuracy in
that rifle was absolutely terrible.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
"RBnDFW" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
On 2010-06-18, Wes wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Tried CB Longs? Less jump.
I do need to figure out which of my rifles shoots those best.
Might be interest to chamber a cheap bolt gun to .22 short or long as a
dedicated CB gun.

Another possibility is the Aquila SSS. Full length, light charge.
Louder than CB but quieter than even a .22 short.
Supposedly great with a suppressor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RBnDFW" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
"RBnDFW" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
On 2010-06-18, Wes wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Some people I know in south Jersey have rechambered their .22 bolt-action
rifles for shorts. In NJ we can't hunt with a .22, except for 'possum and
'coons, at night, with a .22 short (or that was the law 10 years ago, the
last time I looked).

Weird, huh? I shot those squirrels illegally over 30 years ago. I don't do
things like that anymore.

Another possibility is the Aquila SSS. Full length, light charge.
Louder than CB but quieter than even a .22 short.
Supposedly great with a suppressor

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"RBnDFW" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
"RBnDFW" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
On 2010-06-18, Wes wrote:
wrote:

[...]

(I just checked -- it's still limited to .22 shorts, 'possum and 'coons
only.)

--
Ed Huntress

OT what is this strange animal in our backyard Jim Wilkins Metalworking 18 June 23rd 10 08:34 PM
OT - My Favorite Animal RAM³ Metalworking 8 June 5th 10 06:07 PM
Animal Farm Lucern Woodworking 1 December 6th 07 06:51 PM
Animal Control Trapper Ron Home Repair 0 April 18th 07 04:37 PM
Animal Control Trapper Ron Home Ownership 0 April 18th 07 04:27 PM