Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus9757 Ignoramus9757 is offline

Default trailer brakes

On 2010-06-22, Karl Townsend wrote:

"Ignoramus3314" wrote in message
On 2010-06-22, Karl Townsend wrote:

"Carl Ijames" wrote in message
Looks like I get the acid test next week. They just scrapped out a
20,000
lb. commercial laser where my son works. He gets to take it home.

Ooh, ooh, tell us (ok, me :-)) more! What kind of laser, what shape is
it
in, is he going to try to get it running?

His company was running "lights out" with this machine. There was a fire
and
the control wiring burnt up. As the machine was slated for replacement in
year, they scrapped it out.

Somebody has to help get rid of this monster laser, might as well be us.
the
laser itself is only for 4x10 sheets up to 3/8 thick, but it includes a
material handling system to feed off a stack of input and send the
finished
parts and scrap down a conveyor to a part pick and place unit.

Sounds exciting. What are you going to do with it? Part out?

"The Kid" says it won't take me long to get it running again. He's always
generous with my time. I haven't seen it yet, and I'm sure the key is if the
head itself can be saved. The fire was not near this part. I should be able
to get a laser running for less than you have in your CNC mill after selling
off the handling system and Mazatrol control parts

Sounds cool. Without the handling system, it is just a glorified XY
table moving a torch, right?

I am slowly progressing with the mill, adding 220v 1 phase wiring, VFD
etc. My kids are really generous with my time also, I am only free
after putting them to bed at 10:30pm.