Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan dan is offline

Default trailer brakes

What's that Lassie? You say that Karl Townsend fell down the old
rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue
by Mon, 21 Jun 2010 06:12:07 -0500:

Anyway, I now have a trailer brake controller based on brake line hydraulic
pressure.
http://www.brakecontroller.com/maxbrake.htm
The trailer brakes come on just before the truck. For those that don't
remember every one of my projects, this is a 24,000 lb. double dually
thirty six foot trailer.

My question, this unit has a gain setting 0 to 1000 for weight on the
trailer. Set it too high and you skid the trailer tires. Other than looking
for smoke, is there a good way to set this gain? I want to come up with a
really good number for empty, and also only the forklift on.

Are the trailer brakes proportional to the tow trucks breaking force?

If it is, then I would try going down a hill, and riding the brakes as
you turn up the gain until you feel the slack in the coupler get taken
up. You should be able to adjust the gain above and below the balance
point and feel the coupler slack chatter back and forth.
--

Dan H.
northshore MA.