Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT what is this strange animal in our backyard

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 07:55:54 -0500, Ignoramus3314

On 2010-06-21, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 13:35:17 -0500, Ignoramus20428

On 2010-06-19, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Ignoramus20428 wrote:
What I would REALLY not want is to injure this woodchuck, so that it
runs away and then dies in a burrow under my porch. That would really
stink!

Dying in the burrow probably wouldn't be so bad, if you closed it up
with dirt. I once had a raccoon die under a plywood "porch" that was
only inches off the ground & the only way to extract the corpse was to
reach in & pull it out. Piece by piece, that is, 'cause by the time I
had figured out where that awful smell was coming from, it was well into
decomposition. That was THE most disgusting thing I've ever done, and
I've done some disgusting things.

That does sound very disgusting indeed. I am not easily grossed out,
and was called to remove dead animals, but not this big and not in
advanced stage of decomposition.

People in this condition..are far worse.

Stick Vicks up your nose and burn your clothes afterwards worse.

I was once asked to check on a very nice old lady who lived in a nice
big house with about 15 nice, lovable cats. No one heard from her in a
few weeks..in Mid July in the Central Valley of California.

When I arrived and rang the bell.. I smelled "The Smell"..and busted
into the house to find the dear old lady had passed in her sleep. About
2-3 weeks earlier. The nice old lady had been largely eaten by her
cats, who were in the process of starving. But..they all slept with
what was left of her, keeping her company. Judging by what was
left..the cats waited until she bloated, then exploded before digging
in. I figured they had gone without food for at least 8-10 days before
digging in..

Interesting scene..a corpse with much of the soft tissues eaten, the
carcass crawling with maggots...literally pounds of them and the cats,
rubbing up against my legs, happy to see someone, meowing and purring,
ragged and out of water and not willing to fight the maggots for anymore
of their owner.

Fortunately Id not eaten that day and had seen some similar stuff in the
military. The coroner and I were the only two that didnt stagger
outside and puke, but neither he and I ran out for burgers afterwards
either.

Got all the cats adopted out too. Though to be fair...they had to be
shampooed and washed twice, as Mrs Conns aroma tended to stick in the
hair. I got 2 of them myself. Nice older cats. One lived another 3 yrs,
the other lived another 5.

I am thinking, for cases, like this, a gas mask can help some sensitive
people to be more comfortable.

The best way I found, over the years, is to immediately pour dried
coffee in a frying pan, and put it on the strove to burn and turn into
smoke. Does a pretty good job of covering The Smell

Gunner

Gunner Asch