Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Electric Meter

On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 22:45:29 -0400, "The Henchman"
wrote:

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
On 6/19/2010 9:11 AM, mm wrote:
On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 05:55:10 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Alabama power had or has these evil radio controlled gadgets that were
installed on the AC condenser of folks who singed up for a reduced rate
or credit. During peak demand, the AC could be turned off by the power
company. I haven't seen one for a while and always disconnected them
when someone called for service on an AC which wasn't cooling.

TDD

I'm not surrendering control of my A/C or any appliance to some quasi
government body (but I hope others do) but the code is here that there has
to be an outside electrical disconnect for the A/C. The radio
unit/thermostat gets installed in this box.

Baltimore County, I have, I think there has to be an outsdie
disconnect, but they wired the switch into the compressor wiring. I
guess that enables them to switch off only the low voltage control
circuit.

Apparently in Ontario they can't override your settings by more than 2 C
which is 5 F and it can only be done during weekday "working" hours. Never
at evening nights or weeknights. I still wouldn't sign up but the owners
before did and I had the ultity remove the switch when they did a wire
search for me.

Apparently here they almost never use the things, or so they say, but
they are planning for occasions when they will. And when they do,
they're supposed to just do a rolling turn off of AC, a half hour??
and then on again; and on to some other people. I don't know if they
correlate that with a numeric temperature change or not.