Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus3314 Ignoramus3314 is offline

Default trailer brakes

On 2010-06-21, Karl Townsend wrote:
I had dropped a project and just finished it this weekend. Only one thing
left on the big trailer, making the ramps narrower so I can load the
forklift.

Anyway, I now have a trailer brake controller based on brake line hydraulic
pressure.
http://www.brakecontroller.com/maxbrake.htm
The trailer brakes come on just before the truck. For those that don't
remember every one of my projects, this is a 24,000 lb. double dually
thirty six foot trailer.

My question, this unit has a gain setting 0 to 1000 for weight on the
trailer. Set it too high and you skid the trailer tires. Other than looking
for smoke, is there a good way to set this gain? I want to come up with a
really good number for empty, and also only the forklift on.

I would start with setting it low, and then increasing it so that when
you hit the brake, the trailer pulls back, but gently. Note that
everything depends on how hard you brake also. I have electric brakes
on my trailer. I figured that for empty it should be 1.4, for 1.5-2k lbs
it should be 2 or so, for 4000 lbs it should be 3.4 or so.