Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shop Wall and Electric

On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 09:48:43 -0400, "Josepi" wrote:

Trusses would typically have "Webs" installed between any long runs of
outside framing and 2 x 6 bottom rafters or smaller. If they are a "stick
roof" then the bottom rafter has to be large enough lumber to carry the
ceiling weight for that long span, itself and would be a 2 x8 or larger for
more than 10-12 feet. I would have to look up the span chart in the building
code to give you exact sizes here but you get the idea.

Basically, if you have a wide ceiling (more than 12') and there is no
vertical web pieces than you would not have trusses. It won't matter as
trusses or stick roof they can carry some load. I wouldn't store 100 lb up
there though.

*NOT* true. Trusses are not typically rated for *any* floor loading. Their
strength is in compression. The web has no strength in tension.