Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shop Wall and Electric

On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 01:36:55 -0400, Bill wrote:

wrote:

At the bottom of the rafters? That's some long nails! ;-)

My parents referred to the ceiling joists as rafters, so evidently I've
had to undo some incorrect learning. I tried to be accurate today. I
probably should have said something about where the ceiling joists meet
the rafters. Thank you for helping me to get it right!

No, I meant that if your wires are at the bottom of the wood thingy that
supports the roof decking, it's going to be a *long* roofing nail that
penetrates the wire. Even if it's a truss with only 2x4s, that's at least a
4-1/2" nail.

I thought your attic was trussed? If so, you shouldn't be storing anything up
there. Trusses can take very little "floor load".

It's "mostly open" so I take it that it's not trussed. I apologize if I
have misused some basic terminology.

Ok, I just remembered that from some time back in this thread. If it's
"mostly open", it's probably "gabled". Some floor loading is likely OK. You
can look it up, given the span and dimensions/spacing of the joists.

Suggestion for your AC/heat... I'm looking into the "mini split" heat pumps
for my attic shop. They're in the $1K to $2K region, without installation, a
lot of it I hope I can do (just starting research mode).

I'll take a look. I would be interested in reading about your
experience here if you try it. At this point, the electrical aspect of
it hardly intimidates me at all! However, at some point one must start
counting amperes...I should be as concerned about my caloric intake! : )

The one's I'm looking at want a 20A/200V circuit and take about half that.
It's one room, about 400sq. ft., but surrounded by Alabama on five sides.
It'll likely be next spring, or later, before I get that far.