Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
J. D. Slocomb J. D. Slocomb is offline

Default OT-BP Gusher Unstoppable ?

On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 03:30:06 -0700, "Azotic"
wrote:

"All the actions and few tid bits of information all lead to one
inescapable conclusion. The well pipes below the sea floor are broken and
leaking. Now you have some real data of how BP's actions are evidence of
that, as well as some murky statement from "BP officials" confirming the
same.

"To those of us outside the real inside loop, yet still fairly
knowledgeable, [the failure of Top Kill] was a major confirmation of what
many feared. That the system below the sea floor has serious failures of
varying magnitude in the complicated chain, and it is breaking down and it
will continue to.

"This down hole leak will undermine the foundation of the seabed in and
around the well area. It also weakens the only thing holding up the massive
Blow Out Preventer's immense bulk of 450 tons. In fact?...we are beginning
to the results of the well's total integrity beginning to fail due to the
undermining being caused by the leaking well bore.

I think that you are ignoring quite a few things. Typically wells that
blow out around the casing, and there have been quite a number of
them, do not "destroy the foundation" as you think. They simply blow
out a fisher and vent. Secondly the "foundation" is in effect a
tapered pile reaching something like 15,000 feet into the earth. At
the surface it is a two foot column with a wall thickness of 8 inches
of cement and steel.

In addition BP is energetically drilling two relief wells which when
completed will be used to relieve pressure in the hole and serve as a
conduit for pumping cement into the faulty well to permanently seal
it.

To be frank the attempts that BP has made to date with the chambers to
drop over the well head are probably greatly in response to political
pressure as I'm fairly certain that no one in BP expected them to
actually cure the problem and simply hoped that they might catch some
of the oil and calm things down until they can get the permanent
solution in place.

And I don't know what you have been reading but I can tell you that
guys in the drilling business are certainly circulating some pretty
specific data on the BP drilling program, what were the original
problems, what was done when they finished the well and what was going
on when the well kicked.

In fact I posted, or thought I did, a short description of the
completion of the well and what the rig was doing. Probably written by
someone who knew one of the BP drillers or engineers or had been on
the rig about the time they completed the hole.

Cheers,

John D. Slocomb
(jdslocombatgmail)