Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Electric Meter

In article , "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:
My water meter is still in my basement and I've been reading it every
6 months for 25 years. Supposed to go to electronic, remote read
meters this summer.

I have *never* seen either a gas or electric meter inside a house.
Water
meters, sure. Gas and electric? Won't believe it without a photo.

I've since moved away from that house so I cannot take a picture, but my
last house had the gas meter inside. I suggest you travel to Philadelphia
where you will see thousands of homes built that way. The gas meter reader
used to come every month knocking on the back door. Natural gas was very
common in Philly. My meter was located in the basement at the front of the
house. Gas main is in the street. Some newer (1970's) houses were built
with a glass block in the foundation and the meter behind it. That way the
meter reader did not have to go inside, he could just look through the
window.

I'll be darned. Learn something new every day.

If you need an address, I can tell you thousands of them. Entire streets
full of row houses, all with meters inside. Some were build in the 1910
era, my house was built in 1948. Many others from many other years.

As for electric meters, I don't know of any in a house, but I do know of
some inside industrial buildings. I can send you photos of that come Monday
when I go back to work. I read them on the 25th of every month for our
purposes, the electric company reads them at some other time.

Photo not needed there, Ed. I've seen indoor electric meters in
commercial/industrial installations myself. Never in a house, though.