Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shop Wall and Electric

Larry Jaques wrote:

I'm a 1-hole/1-wire kinda guy. If the NEC won't let you put Romex
into a conduit, why stuff wires together at all? Remember that when
you're in a workshop, most of your plugins are high-amp tools. Act
accordingly, eh?

No problem running multiple romex runs through one hole. That's quite
different from running in an enclosed conduit. I do not know the maximum
number of 12/2 runs permitted in any given size hole, without looking it up,
but I stick to 3 as my rule of thumb, and I bore 1" holes. Larry's approach
negates the following thought, but if you are going to run multiple runs
through one hole, never find yourself having to pull hard to run a wire. If
you do - time for a new hole.

I convinced the HVAC guys that I wouldn't be parking in the new shop,
so they let me vent an A/C (and heat) into the 2-car shop. I installed
18 brand new holes in the door to the utility room (house side) and
put Filtrete filters over them. It stays down to 80F during 105+
summer days and at 55F or above in the winter at 17F outside. HVAC
for the shop is absolutely wonderful. Just Do It!

I'm chiming in with Larry! For the most part - no AC in mine, but heat in
the winter - priceless. I spend lots of time in my garage doing everything
from woodworking, to body work, to mechanical, to fabrication - and it is so
nice to just bump the thermostat and not worry about wearing a jacket, etc.

--

-Mike-