Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_37_] Bill[_37_] is offline

Default Shop Wall and Electric

Thank you for your reply. It contains a lot of good information!

Josepi wrote:
Sounds like you are well on your way!! The first blow with the hammer was
the hardest! YIKES!!

Yes, I think we've discussed how difficult it can be to "start" here
before. After a few days of procrastinating, working on other things, I
made a list one evening, and it was easy as 1, 2, 3 the next day. I
think I didn't work so fast, because I wasn't so sure about Steps 4, 5
and 6! Perhaps procrastinating a bit after Step 2, I went on a 90
minute shopping trip to Menards and made a very detailed list of
virtually everything I thought I needed. Evidentally 240v, 20Amp
outlets are not popular, as I did not find what I was looking for
stocked. I thought I wanted the 3-prong type and The only ones they had
were ones which lock with a twist (still 3-prong).

I , again decide, never to drill less than 3/4" ones again!...LOL

3/4" sounded "right" to me to. I was planning to drill a practice hole
before I committed myself to see how well the cables fit! : )

A long spade bit with extension works well. It
avoids chips in your eyes if overhead or high run,
allows you to come in on a fairly straight angle without the next joist/
truss pushing your drill out,
allows a better "in-line" view so your holes do not go up and down.

Yes, I've also read in more than one place about the "importance" of
getting your holes lined up. They even suggested a jig (prop) to
assist. Most of the holes I need to drill will be through the studs in
the garage wall.

- Drill the furthest one and work your way backward so the previous is
always in site or ping chalk lines to get your holes lined up.

Yes!

- drill individual holes for larger cables. ALl conductors need cooling.
Three 2 wire cables (6 conductors) in any hole so there is always cooling to
each conductor inside-

Three 10-2 Romex cables in one hole okay?

- before insulating shoot foam into the ceiling holes to re-vapour barrier.

Thank you for mentioning that --that wasn't even on my list!

I am not sure were you will used the running board..in attic or on ceiling.
Usually there are enough lumber pieces in the attic to follow with a cable.
Across the trusses is a good place for one. Nail it to bottom truss web and
nail cables to sides = no feet on cable to stretch it.

Attic. As the cable has to go perpendicular to the floor joists and many
of them are already covered with flooring, I latched onto the idea of a
"running board" when Mike Marlow first mentioned it. If I understand
what you wrote concerning where to locate it, is across the bottom of
the rafters, a few inches above the flooring, part of the "bottom truss
web"? The roof does not leak but should the proximity to the elements
via the roofing nails be of concern?

It is good that no feet will be able to stretch the wire, but I think it
should be protected so that no one can push a box against it as well. I
have seen the idea of building a "U-shaped" running board proposed. 6
cables across an 6"-8" wide board? If the location I identified above
is okay, I would consider nailing the wires with the plastic backed
staples to the running board with great care not to damage any wires,
and then "screwing" the running board to the rafters in case it may ever
need to be modified.

Dont' forget speaker cables, Ethernet (CAT5 or 5e or 6), intercom, phone,
remote control for dust collector, thermostats... video camera security
cables, weather vane, wind turbine, exhaust port in eaves...think hard and
take your time.

Gosh, that's the type of thinking that got me where I am now--and that
was "just" over electricity and lighting. You have a vivid
imagination--maybe you are in sales? : ) It occurred to me this week
that it would be nice to have a shop radio--don't laugh I just got a
sturdy wooden "shop chair" last week. After seeing how hot it gets, I
have to wonder where "air conditioning" might fit onto a list. I will
probably have to make-do with a shop fan. That would go well with all
of that dry-wall dust I'm making! : ) I already noticed white tracks
throughout the house the other day--burglars!!! I cleaned them up
before SWMBO came home!

Bill