Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default OT what is this strange animal in our backyard

On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 19:26:11 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

Wes can update me on this, but during at least part of the time when I
lived
in Michigan (1966 - 1973), it was illegal to kill porkies. Not because
they
were trying to preserve them -- they do a hell of a lot of damage to
trees -- but because they were the only animal slow enough that you could
kill one with a stick. It was an ancient law that was based on the idea
that
someone lost in the woods could always catch and kill a porcupine to eat.

I have heard that story before from friends that have lived here longer
than I have.

My GoogleFu wasn't up to it and sadly, some hunting regulation documents
that were part of
grandpa's estate were disposed of a year or so ago.

I'll ask my 68 year old uncle if he recalls anything about this tomorrow
when I have lunch
at mom's.

I'm not willing to take a stand on this one.

See the discussion with Karl. I'm beginning to believe it was an old wive's
tale. It appears to be widely believed, but I can't find any documentation
for it.

The spruce grouse fills that niche here in northern New England. I've
heard the Indians would only kill one in a pinch. Hunting spruce
grouse is not allowed in ME, though I suspect that's because there
wouldn't be any if it were allowed, not because of tradition. Even so,
I've only seen them when hiking in remote areas. When you flush one
it'll fly from cover to a low branch and watch you walk by. If they
stayed put, you'd rarely notice them.

--
Ned Simmons