Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default OT what is this strange animal in our backyard

On Jun 19, 7:28*pm, Wes wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:
I support hunting and generally support trapping but if I'm on a nature or hiking trail
and my dog (well if I had a dog) stepped into a trap while sticking near me, there would
be a problem....
Wes

Never assume, especially in the back woods, but I *hope* someone with
the ability to recognize animal trails can detect human trails too,
and avoid them. We sure didn't need the publicity.

Conibear traps are set in shallow water below the mudslides muskrats
make to catch one when it pokes its head through. They weren't baited
or hidden, we stuck sticks in the mud on either side to funnel them
in.

The larger ones for bobcats, wolverines, fishers etc are set on land
and AFAIK also not hidden. I think you lean a log against a tree trunk
to give them a lazy animal's access and put the baited trap part way
up it.

If those things are present do you want to be strolling around?
http://www.brainardbrewing.com/blog/...fisher-cat.jpg

jsw