Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default OT what is this strange animal in our backyard

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

Wes can update me on this, but during at least part of the time when I
lived
in Michigan (1966 - 1973), it was illegal to kill porkies. Not because
they
were trying to preserve them -- they do a hell of a lot of damage to
trees -- but because they were the only animal slow enough that you could
kill one with a stick. It was an ancient law that was based on the idea
that
someone lost in the woods could always catch and kill a porcupine to eat.

I have heard that story before from friends that have lived here longer
than I have.

My GoogleFu wasn't up to it and sadly, some hunting regulation documents
that were part of
grandpa's estate were disposed of a year or so ago.

I'll ask my 68 year old uncle if he recalls anything about this tomorrow
when I have lunch
at mom's.

I'm not willing to take a stand on this one.

See the discussion with Karl. I'm beginning to believe it was an old wive's
tale. It appears to be widely believed, but I can't find any documentation
for it.

About 10 years ago, I was climbing up into my maple tree to try my hand at
bow hunting
when I noiced there was a monster porky above me. I like that tree, it
has a 3' trunk
and is a real tree compared to the pines on my property.

So I trudge back to the house ( 1120 feet), dump the bow, grab the rifle,
tree. Shoot the porky, take the rifle back to the house, grab the bow,
head back to the
tree. Pick up the porky, he was a big one, my arm got tired carrying him
out into the
woods beyond my property so my dog didn't run into it. You don't carry a
porky close to
your body if you get my drift.

Anyway, by the time I got up in the tree, the morning was fairly wasted,
and I was getting
tired. I did see a couple deer. They spotted me, I coudn't get the bow
up.

I wasn't about to have a bow and a rifle in the same place while deer
hunting during bow
season.

Wes