Posted to alt.home.repair
The Henchman[_6_] The Henchman[_6_] is offline

Default Electric Meter

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
On 6/19/2010 9:11 AM, mm wrote:
On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 05:55:10 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Alabama power had or has these evil radio controlled gadgets that were
installed on the AC condenser of folks who singed up for a reduced rate
or credit. During peak demand, the AC could be turned off by the power
company. I haven't seen one for a while and always disconnected them
when someone called for service on an AC which wasn't cooling.

TDD

I'm not surrendering control of my A/C or any appliance to some quasi
government body (but I hope others do) but the code is here that there has
to be an outside electrical disconnect for the A/C. The radio
unit/thermostat gets installed in this box.

Apparently in Ontario they can't override your settings by more than 2 C
which is 5 F and it can only be done during weekday "working" hours. Never
at evening nights or weeknights. I still wouldn't sign up but the owners
before did and I had the ultity remove the switch when they did a wire
search for me.