Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default OT what is this strange animal in our backyard

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
On Jun 19, 12:41 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
Try this trick: When no one is in your yard except for a chuck chomping
his
way through your vegetation, give a sharp, short, high-pitched whistle. Or
use a toy whistle to do it if you can't whistle. That fluttering sound of
regular whistle does not help; pull out the little ball, if you can.

If the chuck is comfy he will sit up on his hind legs and just look. Shoot
now. This is something that varmint hunters have been doing for many
years,
and it usually works.

If the chuck is nervous, he will run when you whistle. Your chances of
getting a clean, still head shot will be much less. 'Time for the trap.

--
Ed Huntress

After sitting alert and motionless for a while my lips are too dry
when I try to whistle. Do you know if an ultrasonic dog whistle works?

I have no idea. The groundhogs themselves make the audible whistling noise.
It's some kind of communication among them. That's why they're sometimes
called "whistle pigs."

I don't want to attract the neighbors' attention as well, since they
might all want a shot themselves.

Several mouth noises that don't sound human or threatening work, like
clucking and hissing. They sit up and look for the source.

Aha. I've only tried the whistle. I usually can get them to sit up and look.

OTOH if you make a loud deep WOOF like a large dog lots of animals
flee in terror even if they were staring at you, who are obviously not
the large dog. That's my immediate reaction to a sudden nearby noise
at night outdoors. It works on people too.

g The psychology of groundhogs is something I'll have to leave to others.

I use a kissing/smacking sound on the back of my hand to get squirrels to
stop and look. Sometimes they'll start chattering when you do that. Then you
have a still shot at them.

--
Ed Huntress