Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe AutoDrill[_2_] Joe AutoDrill[_2_] is offline

Default OT what is this strange animal in our backyard

If you staple a brightly colored tag to its ear it will be easier to
recognize next time.

I'll make you a deal. I'll catch a few NJ-born and bread Raccoons and *you*
can try to get that tag on their ear.

I swear the one we had at my last place was a small bear. It would take him
a while to squeeze himself down the sewer at the street and he could easily
look *into* standing garbage cans that were larger than those galvanized
steel (on topic!) ones.

True story - one that my wife makes me feel bad about all the time... I put
the garbage cans below my office at home about a year ago. The office is on
the 2nd floor. When the raccoons would "visit" I would go into the office,
open the window and try to scare them away. Once they got used to it, I
started dropping things on them.

Folding chairs, combination locks... Basically anything I could find. They
came back a few minutes later EVERY time.

....Until I bought a 25 lb. dumbell from the local sporting goods store.
....IO swear, they never showed up again and I kept that thing there by my
desk until we recently moved.

I'm still amazed that a folding chair from 16+ feet up, landing squarely on
a raccoon's head and back didn't chase them off for more than a few minutes.
I guess our garbage was top shelf stuff!

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244