Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default OT what is this strange animal in our backyard

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
On Jun 18, 12:27 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
If you're thinking about shooting them with your air rifle, I'd advise
against it. They are remarkably tough and difficult to kill. A .22 Long
Rifle is considered inadequate, except with a head shot....
Ed Huntress

They have a huge wet-food-filled gut that absorbs a .22 bullet. When
they run away from you that's the only target.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/agricul...-animal-traps/
I bought the small + medium set last year to trap a similar-sized
possum. That is a decent price and they were made well enough to work
without binding, after a little tweaking of the release. The wire
handles need padding, my hand hurt after marching it a few miles out
into the woods to release it. It didn't come back.

jsw

If you trap and release a young one, and his mother is still around, she
will whistle him back -- sometimes from a couple of miles away.

You really have to move them out.

--
Ed Huntress