Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default OT what is this strange animal in our backyard

On 2010-06-18, Ed Huntress wrote:

"Ignoramus13320" wrote in message
I think that he lives under a porch. It is furry and the size of a
big cat.

http://igor.chudov.com/Animal/

Groundhog (woodchuck).

http://www.frugalyankee.com/files/groundhog_main.jpg

http://mypunchbowl.files.wordpress.c.../groundhog.jpg

I have a recipe for woodchuck in sour cream, from the old Gourmet
magazine,
should you need it. g

I tried eating squirrel, it was disgusting. I prefer chicken.

a few weeks ago i came across a dead rabbit on the road. he was still
warm. i brought him home and did a google search on how to gut and skin a
rabbit. i was afraid i'd be too disgusted to do it but i did do it,
wasn't as bad as i feared (was afraid i'd be so disgusted i'd vomit and
not be able to finish). somehow it reminded me of processing a mango.
well, so, i followed the directions i found on-line. the guy said to boil
it for an hour or two. did. i found the meat to have a disgusting aroma.
i couldn't get myself to even put a tiny bit in my mouth to taste it. my
hands (and all the utensils, pots, etc.) were INFUSED with that same
disgusting aroma (from the fat/oil of the rabbit) it took HOURS for that
smell to fade from my hands. i was afraid "what, if i've got this
disgusting smell INFUSED into my skin just touching it i can't imagine
what it'll be like to put it inside me". was a shame to let that meat
(and effort) to go to waste but i buried the meat in my garden. i
wondered if perhaps it might've been due to some internal organ being
crushed and it's fluids expelled into the rabbit. i wonder if ordinarily
rabbit meat is as palatable "as chicken".

i'd like to see ed's woodchuck recipe. i've got lots of woodchucks. (and
yes, i put a fence around my garden after one of the early years having a
woodchuck DEVASTATE my young brussels sprouts and broccoli plants. that's
when i learned crucifers are EXCELLENT woodchuck bait for my havahart
trap.

b.w.

My _Gourmet_ series is in my attic, but this is almost the same recipe:

http://www.justgamerecipes.com/print...t-0015944.html

What they don't tell you is that you MUST remove the musk glands behind the
legs, and do it carefully. I haven't skinned one in 40 years so I can't help
you there. Maybe someone else here can help.

If you break the musk glands, throw the chuck away.

About your rabbit: It normally has no real aroma when raw, maybe something
like chicken. Cooked, it has a mild flavor with a slight gamey "tang."
Recipes that contain some vinegar or other acid, such as the lemon juice in
many hassenpfeffer recipes, eliminate the tang.

You had one bad rabbit. I've eaten at least 100 cottontails, and they are
delicious.

Cleaning small game is not for the squeamish. It helps to have started doing
it before age 10. g The neat way to gut a rabbit is to slit him from anus
to upper chest (near the throat); grab the two front legs in one hand and
the rear legs in the other; turn him so the slit is facing away from you;
swing him back over your head; and "flip" or "snap" him forward, like a
soccer-ball throw-in. The guts go flying.

Do not do this in the house. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress