Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Precision vs. "Regular" collets

On 2010-06-16, Searcher7 wrote:
Why post both? One is pre-cut to fit a specific machine
(yours?), while the other is the same thing with a longer drawtube which
can be cut to fit whatever machine you have....

* * * * So -- get the one which fits without modification. *The price is
the same, and you don't have to throw away part of the drawtube. *(Or
figure a way to make the remains work with a smaller dividing head. *You
would have to machine the spindle to be a closer for the 3C collets and
make a handwheel closer for it....

The handwheel collet closer on my lathe came off a larger lathe and is
longer than necessary. I made a new roller thrust bearing (it didn't
have one) held on by a shaft collar and left it the full original
length, with the original threads.

.......as opposed to the
end mill holders? (And there is the limited travel distance that is at
a premium on one of these machines).

The end mill holder brings the cutting edge down to about the same
place as a drill bit in a chuck, if you size your drill bit lengths to
the machine. Any difference in their heights eats into your limited
quill travel after you've set the head high enough for both.

Generally stub or screw machine length works for me. S&D bits go in a
collet, considering the warning about slippage since the cutting edges
have a longer torque moment than the gripping surface.

jsw