Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Why are schools dumping auto shop, wood shop, and metal shop?

Ala wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

Al Dykes wrote:

In article
,
wrote:
When I was in school, these were every boy's favorite, and almost the
only useful education we got.

The Voc-Tech I attended mumble decades ago had a first-class 3 year
machine shop program. I'm told it's now a good computer CAD/CAM
course.

They also had college-track electronics and mechanical engineering
programs. The Mech students got several semesters in machine shop.
There was nothing like that for us Electrical majors.

I got two years of metal shop, three years of wood shop, two of
drafting and two of electronics in the seventh through twelfth grades in
the '60s.

The school councilors wanted me to take a different path, and kept
harping on "wasting your IQ". I didn't want to go to medical school or
law school. I wanted to work with my hands. To build things from
scratch. I still have my drafting table, and I've been out of school
for 40 years.

we didn't have a school counselor. We didn't really have anyone to help us
figure out how to get ahead in life after we graduated.

All they did was look for kids to send to college. If you tested
high enough they hounded you like a re-enlistment officer who was short
on his quota, hoping you'd give in. The other boys were directed to
shop classes, and they didn't want the two groups to mix. The girls
were either put in College prep classes, or secretarial and Home
Economics classes.

If i had listen to the councilors, I would have been bored to death.
Instead, I worked in electronics most of my life.

It was a terrible school. The curriculum was so easy and I was so bored.
My favorite time was when a teacher told me that I was underachieving. I
asked her given I had all As how that was possible if there wasn't a farther
goal post.
I wish I had been witty enough to say, yea well you are underteaching.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.