Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Why are schools dumping auto shop, wood shop, and metal shop?

"Ala" wrote in message

"Existential Angst" wrote in message
wrote in message
When I was in school, these were every boy's favorite, and almost the
only useful education we got.

Indeed.

And the answer to the Q is:
Because everyone wants to be a fuknStockbroker.
Better to be the one doing the ****ing.

It's really said that every boy's and girl' goal now is money for nothin'.

The most curious part of it is the only skill it takes is salesmanship.
That really doesn't require higher education. I would challenge them to
try and explain the instruments they are selling, or the formulae used to
create the hedge strategies. They can't.

all they have a grasp of is marketing and advertising

Right. They're a tough bunch, though, and floor traders until recently were
better off without much social refinement. Better for them to learn their
trade by stealing apples from street vendors and running from cops, than
studying business or finance.

Now that the financial executives are being drawn from the ranks of traders,
rather than from the analysts who used to be the ones elevated to the top,
the boardrooms must be something like a meeting of the Mafia, with thugs
wearing Armani suits and eating their caviar with marinara sauce and linen
napkins tucked into their collars while they pick their teeth. You can tell
that things have changed because some of them have to wear those lampshade
dog collars to keep them from licking their balls.

--
Ed Huntress