Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Why are schools dumping auto shop, wood shop, and metal shop?

"Ala" wrote in message
m...

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Ala" wrote in message
news

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

Al Dykes wrote:

In article
,
wrote:
When I was in school, these were every boy's favorite, and almost the
only useful education we got.

The Voc-Tech I attended mumble decades ago had a first-class 3 year
machine shop program. I'm told it's now a good computer CAD/CAM
course.

They also had college-track electronics and mechanical engineering
programs. The Mech students got several semesters in machine shop.
There was nothing like that for us Electrical majors.

I got two years of metal shop, three years of wood shop, two of
drafting and two of electronics in the seventh through twelfth grades
in
the '60s.

The school councilors wanted me to take a different path, and kept
harping on "wasting your IQ". I didn't want to go to medical school or
law school. I wanted to work with my hands. To build things from
scratch. I still have my drafting table, and I've been out of school
for 40 years.

we didn't have a school counselor. We didn't really have anyone to help
us figure out how to get ahead in life after we graduated.
It was a terrible school. The curriculum was so easy and I was so
bored.
My favorite time was when a teacher told me that I was underachieving.
I asked her given I had all As how that was possible if there wasn't a
farther goal post.
I wish I had been witty enough to say, yea well you are underteaching.

When and where did you attend high school?

I'm curious about regions of the country and education.

--

It was a girl's private school run by nuns on the East Coast. Nuns can't
teach you anything except what to do if you can't snag a husband. It

LOL! I think you're right about their basic orientation.

That's an interesting school background. We usually think of schools taught
by nuns as being very demanding. I attended Catholic elementary schools but
not high school. The nuns who taught me were demanding, but I guess that
isn't universal.

--
Ed Huntress