Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Thermostat/low volt wire that is CL2 and direct burial rated?

On Jun 14, 10:39*am, "Twaynes" wrote:
,
typed:

Here's the application. *I have a solar pool controller
located outside a single family house that puts out 24V
which will go to a relay located in the attic. * The
controller is about 6 feet away from the house, so the
circuit will go from the relay in the attic, down the
outside of the house behind a pipe, but then needs to go
underground for the last 6 feet to the pool controller.
Besides the relay circuit, there will also be 4 other wires
for sensors. * So, I need a 20 gauge cable with 6 or 7
conductors.

I've searched high and low online and can't find any wire
that will meet code. * Everything that is CL2 or CL2X
rated, eg thermostat cable is NOT rated for direct burial.
And anything that is rated for direct burial, eg
irrigation/sprinkler cable, is NOT rated CL2. Anyone know
of any such cable that is 20 or 18 gauge? *And am I right,
per NEC 725 that I can't just use the sprinkler cable for
the whole run?

What are my other options? * I'm thinking I could mount a
small weatherproof box on the side of the house near ground
level and transition from CL2 to sprinkler wire for the
last 6 feet underground. * *Or can I use the CL2 thermostat
type wire and then put it inside PVC conduit for the
underground run avoiding the splice?
Is there a flexible PVC I could run, like is flextight
allowed underground for low voltage?

This has to pass electrical inspection as other work is
being done too.

And this got me thinking. * All the irrigation installs
I've seen just use irrigation cable that is not CL rated
and yet they bring it inside garages, basements, etc.
That would seem to be a technical violation of NEC 725, no?
Do they just get away with it because it's a short run
and/or there is no electrical inspection done?

Look into phone wiring; I don't know what it's called but they do have *24
Ga weather cable; not sure about buried for a cable with that few pairs, but
might be something useful. Smallest I've noticed, IIRC, is 12 pair 24ga
twisted for underground use.

HTH,

Twayne`- Hide quoted text -

24 is a bit light for any distance/current.