Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default Help soldering broken bandsaw blade

On 2010-06-13, wrote:

The black 'high temperature' stuff rather than the white stuff, yes?

The black is primarily for stainless steel, but we used both
interchangably. If I were buying only one for general use, I'd go
with the black.

The stuff is water soluble, so it will eventually dry out and become
crusted over in the container, even completely dry out. Even new jars
sometimes have a crystaline crust on the top. Not to worry. Just add
water and remix. Its normal consistancy is a paste, about right to
put on with a simple acid brush or small spatula knife. Don't be
afraid to lay it on thick. Better too much than too little.

When the joint is hot enough (dull red), the flux will bubble and boil
and then become like warm honey, flowing everywhere and filling and
whetting the joint. Add the solder to the edge of the joint and let
it flow into the joint. If it doesn't flow into the joint, it isn't
hot enough or you used too little flux. Try and use only as much
solder as needed. Too much and it will flow out the bottom and drip
and you will end up having to grind down the blade so it will fit in
the guides.

Water will clean up the post solder flux crust. A good stainless
steel brush, the fine ones that look like a tooth brush or a small
wheel is good to dress it all up.

Excellent. Thanks!

--Winston