Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
notbob notbob is offline

Default Help soldering broken bandsaw blade

On 2010-06-13, Martin H. Eastburn wrote:

Some are vary hard and require a hotter flame, others flexible
and a lower flame.

Silver soldering is sometimes referred to as hard soldering.

It's become more confusing because old style rosin core electronics
soldering is going leadless and slowly replacing the lead in lead/tin
solder with a percentage of silver. When I used to hard solder large
stainless steel vacuum components to copper and brass fittings, we
called it hard soldering and it was the "hard" high silver content
solder that came in long thin rods like brazing rods and required
oxy/ecetylene to bring up to useful temps. Of course I'm talking
heavy metal mass, not thin saw blades. Bernzomatic torches may be
enough for thin saw blades. The key is the flux. That Sta-Silv
flux is the best. Very forgiving of wide range of temps, even
severe overheating.

nb