Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Default Help soldering broken bandsaw blade

I have purchased boxes of a half dozen alloys of silver solder.
Some are vary hard and require a hotter flame, others flexible
and a lower flame.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
"Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer
TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Charter Founder
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com/

On 6/11/2010 9:12 PM, wrote:
On Jun 11, 9:17 pm, "Michael wrote:

As they use a butane torch I doubt they really are brazing.

No, they are not. Are they being serious? That little torch is a joke. I
have a couple and they will not heat anything unless it is very small. I
would not be surprised if the solder joint as demonstrated were rather poor.
The saw blade is going to conduct the heat away from the joint faster than
that torch will heat it even if you *can* keep it lit :-) Note that the
picture of the final result in the video was not seen well, if at all.

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

I have silver brazed ( often called silver soldering ) numerous things
using small propane torches. Propane is hot enough. It is no problem
to silver braze bandsaw blades using silver braze. I have done it.
Silver brazing larger objects takes some thought. Insulating fire
bricks ( IFB ) are useful. You can take some IFB's and build a little
corner that keeps the heat from being conducted away. Silver braze
flows at dull red heat.

Dan