Posted to rec.woodworking

Default reclaimed lumber wood preservation question

This green stuff is great to keep fungus and all sorts of bug eating
stuff. We used it to coat under our houses when living in a rain forest.
It is available in Northern Ca. and I suspect elsewhere. Check fence companies
if hardware and garden suppliers fail.
Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
"Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer
TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Charter Founder
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com/

On 6/12/2010 1:17 PM, dadiOH wrote:
Ohioguy wrote:
I've got a small pile of reclaimed 2x4's that were originally
purchased to build shelves in my basement. There is a thrift store
locally that gets the wood out of homes that are being demolished. My
parents ended up getting us heavy duty plastic shelves as a
housewarming gift, so now the lumber sits there unused, taking up
space.
I also have a need for some bed edging in my yard - to keep me from
mowing the mulch around a couple of fruit trees and a blueberry hedge.
I'm interested in using some of this ~ 80 year old wood for the job.

Can anyone recommend a good wood preservative that I can apply with
a paintbrush that would stand a good chance of helping the wood stand
up to constant contact with the ground and moisture for perhaps 6
years?

Cuprinol No. 10 Green Wood Preservative. You may have trouble finding it
though. Check at marine stores.